Envelope Tracking, MMPAs, CMOS PAs, Antenna Tuning, and MIMO to Transform Handset RF Design Five disruptive technologies at the same time
CAMPBELL, Calif., May 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new report from Mobile Experts highlights three new technologies which will revolutionize the market for RF components in mobile devices.
"We have five disruptive trends at the same time: Envelope Tracking (ET), Multimode multiband power amplifiers (MMPA), CMOS PAs, Antenna Tuning, and MIMO," explained Joe Madden, Principal Analyst at Mobile Experts. "Taken together, these changes will create a wholly new architecture for 2015 handsets, tablets, and PCs.
"The number of frequency bands and modes in a mobile handset is growing rapidly. Mobile device OEMs are faced with runaway cost, if they support all of the LTE frequency bands that are coming. Even with these new technologies, the RF content in a high-end smartphone will increase from $6 to $10 over five years.
"Mobile Experts investigated each technology individually, but we found that each disruptive technology is related to the others. CMOS amplifiers will use Envelope Tracking technology. Tuning elements will be used for impedance matching. MIMO will drive huge market growth for antennas and filters. We interviewed more than 50 companies to thoroughly investigate the interplay between all of these new trends."
Handset RF Front Ends: MMPAs, ET, Tuning, FEMs, and MIMO includes 150 pages of analysis, with 138 charts and exhibits. The comprehensive analysis provides:
- Block Diagram examples for Worldphone, Smartphone, Feature Phone, Tablet, and PC RF Front Ends
- Cost analysis of RF Front Ends and business analysis of the reasons for migrating to new technologies
- A five-year RFFE forecast, including:
- Filters and Duplexers
- Front End Modules or FEMs (PADs, ASMs, TxMs, Filter/Switch Modules)
- Antenna Tuning and Impedance Match Tuning
- Multimode, Multiband PAs (MMPAs)
- Envelope Tracking PAs (ET PAs)
- CMOS PAs
- Terminals including handsets, tablets, PCs, and M2M
- RF Front Ends forecasts by frequency band and air interface standard
- Analysis of individual market segments, including:
- Market Shares for each component area
- Unit shipments forecasted for each component
- Average Selling Price (ASP) forecasted for each component
- Revenue forecasted for each component
- RF Front Ends forecasted by frequency band
- RF Front Ends forecasted by air interface standard
- Forecasted combinations of technology (ET and MMPA, ET and FEM)
About Mobile Experts LLC:
Mobile Experts provides insightful market analysis for the mobile infrastructure and mobile handset markets. Research topics center on technology introduction for radio frequency (RF) and communications innovation. Recent publications focus on MIMO, Semiconductors for Small Cells, Backhaul for Small Cells, Semiconductors for Remote Radio Heads, AAS, and Macro Base Station Transceiver Forecast.
SOURCE Mobile Experts LLC