KINGSPORT, Tenn., June 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- EnviraCarbon, Inc. (ECI), a cutting-edge clean energy technology company with locations in Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina, announces today the commercialization of a patented and proprietary technology which molecularly alters renewable biomass feedstock into EnvirAnized Biofuel™ (EBF). EBF is a product that looks, transports, stores, pulverizes and burns like coal. The only thing it doesn't do that coal does, is pollute. The superfast process changes woody biomass into clean carbonized EBF, drastically condensing the process that took nature 100 million years to accomplish into a matter of minutes.
Because the Enviranization™ process forces biomass to take on the physical characteristics of coal it can be directly used by coal-burning or biomass fired power plants and industrial facilities without any modification or retrofitting to their existing boiler systems. The end result is a world changing solution for the global population by providing a clean renewable energy alternative. Because EBF can be used interchangeably with coal or biomass, it eliminates the need for coal burning facilities to spend the billions of dollars in capital expenditures necessary for compliance.
The EBF product has the same heat value as bituminous coal from the eastern U.S. (12,000+ BTUs), it exhibits a much greater heat value than wood pellets and unlike wood pellets, it is hydrophobic. The EBF product contains negligible amounts of sulfur and non-detectable levels of mercury, arsenic, and lead which are toxic elements in coal. EBF is also, by most standards, at or near carbon neutral.
ECI facilities use only certified sustainable biomass and/or waste wood as feedstock so facilities are exceptionally gentle on the environment in the production of EBF. EBF facilities require a relatively small footprint while producing large quantities of EBF. With a commercial facility presently under construction, export of EBF is expected to begin first quarter 2014. Some additional characteristics for EBF are as follows:
EBF has the following good properties of coal:
- Looks like coal: Totally Black Pellet with no woody material
- Burns like coal: Heat Range 11,000 to 13,000 BTU's,
25.6 to 30.2 GJ/T
- Handles like coal: Pellet durability 93% +
- Crushes like coal: Hardgrove Grindability Index 55+
- Pulverized like coal: Highly Friable
- Hydrophobic like coal: Above 100 degrees hydrophobicity
EBF has none of the following detrimental properties of coal:
- No storable ash: Very low ash and no toxic ash to store
- Low slagging index: Slagging Index 0.5546
- 100% Renewable: Produced from certified renewable biomass
- Carbon Neutral: Enviranization™ process is carbon neutral
- No Mercury or Heavy Metals: No mineral based pollutants
- Virtually no sulfur: Sulfur ranges from non-detect to <0.2%
- Almost pollution-free: Exceptionally clean burning
ABOUT THE ENVIRACARBON COMPANIES
The EnviraCarbon Companies are a diverse group of companies focused on the development of clean energy technologies for the manufacturing of innovative biofuel products used for combustion by utilities to create renewable electricity and a wide range of activated carbon products including enviraPAC Hg – a group of biomass-derived powdered activated carbons used to capture mercury from coal flue gas.
SOURCE EnviraCarbon, Inc.