HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., April 6, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Sears Holdings (NASDAQ: SHLD) with a 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award for its continued leadership in protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency achievements. Sears Holdings' accomplishments will be recognized in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2015.
Sears Holdings, an ENERGY STAR partner since 1998, will be honored for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency. The company's related accomplishments in 2014 included:
- Energy Savings: Sears Holdings continues to have success year-over-year in reducing its energy consumption. In 2014, the company's total weather normalized source energy usage decreased by nearly 950,000,000 kbtu, a reduction of three percent over last year, and the average weather normalized source energy intensity declined to 122.8 kbtu/sqft, a three percent reduction over 2013. Sears Holdings reduced electricity usage by more than 300 million kWh, an 11 percent savings over the previous year.
- Product Selection: In 2014, Sears Holdings introduced new energy-efficient technology for Kenmore® laundry and refrigeration, as well as continued development of the connected appliance/home energy management portfolio that will be introduced in spring 2015. Our Consumer Electronics team expanded their customer awareness of the ENERGY STAR brand through partnerships with Nakamichi, Samsung and various utilities.
- Training: Sears Holdings made enhancements to supplier training sessions for store associates, and created new online education tools for in-home service technicians and energy audit teams. The Home Appliance associate product training road show was reestablished in 2014, including highlights for ENERGY STAR certification.
- Marketing: Sears Holdings further enhanced the ENERGY STAR brand presence on our Shop Your Way platform and expect the opportunities to promote the ENERGY STAR brand through this unique channel continue to grow. Additionally, we improved ENERGY STAR messaging on the company's online/mobile sites in an effort to promote consistent branding and ease of search/use for our members.
- Partnership: Sears Holdings' collaborative relationship with our utility partners continues to differentiate us in our effort to reduce energy consumption through the promotion of ENERGY STAR certified products. We optimize these relationships to help drive traffic to our stores, increase success for the programs, and add awareness of the ENERGY STAR brand. We leveraged our partnerships to promote ENERGY STAR through our ENERGY STAR and Earth Day Atrium events, and Green Leadership Energy Summit.
"Sears Holdings values our partnership with ENERGY STAR and is honored to receive the Partner of the Year Award," said William Hutchinson, Chief Supply Chain Officer, Sears Holdings. "We remain committed to continuing our work to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase energy efficiency and protect the environment through our operational excellence, Kenmore product offerings and partnerships with local utilities."
Since its inception in 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have helped prevent a total of more than two billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In 2013 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners provided more than $11 billion in societal benefits due to reducing damages from climate change.
"Through their sustained participation with ENERGY STAR, Sears Holdings is helping Americans save money, save energy, and do their part to reduce our nation's greenhouse gas emissions that fuel climate change," said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy. "I applaud Sears Holdings for earning the EPA's highest ENERGY STAR award, the 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award, demonstrating a strong commitment to energy efficiency and to preserving a healthy planet for future generations."
The 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a variety of organizations to recognize their contributions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions through superior energy efficiency achievements. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program, including energy-efficient products, services, new homes, and buildings in the commercial, industrial, and public sectors.
For a complete list of 2015 winners and information, and more information about ENERGY STAR's awards program, visit www.energystar.gov/awardwinners.
About Sears Holdings Corporation
Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD) is a leading integrated retailer focused on seamlessly connecting the digital and physical shopping experiences to serve our members – wherever, whenever and however they want to shop. Sears Holdings is home to Shop Your Way®, a social shopping platform offering members rewards for shopping at Sears and Kmart as well as with other retail partners across categories important to them. The company operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation, with full-line and specialty retail stores across the United States. For more information, visit www.searsholdings.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency achievements. For more than 20 years, people across America have looked to EPA's ENERGY STAR program for guidance on how to save energy, save money, and protect the environment. Behind each blue label is a product, building, or home that is independently certified to use less energy and cause fewer of the emissions that contribute to climate change. Today, ENERGY STAR is the most widely recognized symbol for energy efficiency in the world, helping families and businesses save $300 billion on utility bills, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions by two billion metric tons since 1992. Join the millions who are already making a difference at energystar.gov.
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Sears Holdings Public Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/epa-recognizes-sears-holdings-with-2015-energy-star-partner-of-the-year---sustained-excellence-award-300061354.html
SOURCE Sears Holdings