Equality Forum 2011 - The Global LGBT Summit
April 25 - May 1, in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, April 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The 19th annual Equality Forum is the largest annual national and international lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender civil rights summit. With Latin America as the International Focus, Equality Forum features 25 panels, eight parties and seven special events. Information can be found at www.equalityforum.com.
Equality Forum 2011 panels with major movement leaders explore a wide array of LGBT issues – religion, seniors, legal, youth, transgender, families, politics and workplace equality, among others.
Moderators and Panelists include:
- Daniel Hernandez Jr. , University of Arizona student who saved Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords ' life
- The Rt. Rev. Mary Douglas Glasspool , the first openly lesbian Episcopal bishop
- Katherine Miller , Yale undergraduate who as a West Point cadet outed herself and was discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
- Jarrett Barrios , President, GLAAD
- Kevin Jennings , Assistant Deputy Secretary, Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, U.S. Department of Education
- Michael Guest , openly gay U.S. Ambassador and Senior Advisor, Council for Global Equality
- Marty Rouse , National Field Director, Human Rights Campaign
- Kevin Naff , Editor, Washington Blade
- Kenji Yoshino , Chief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Constitutional Law, New York University
- Joe Valentine , Professional Baseball Player and the son of a lesbian couple
International Equality Dinner, Saturday, April 30
The International Equality Dinner at the National Constitution Center honors Lt. Dan Choi and former Congressman Patrick Murphy with the 16th annual International Role Model Award, with Special Guest of Honor Daniel Hernandez Jr. Governor Jack Markell of Delaware is the Featured Speaker. The Delaware legislature recently passed a civil unions bill for same-sex couples, which Gov. Markell will sign into law.
"Bullied: A Student, a School and a Case that Made History"
The documentary chronicles the story of Jamie Nabozny, the first student to successfully sue a school district for abuse, Friday, April 29
A new play created and performed by 21 students about the LGBT youth experience, Friday, April 29
12th Annual Gay and Lesbian Art Exhibit
In collaboration with The University of the Arts, featuring photographers Connie Imboden (Reflections) and Lorenzo Triburgo (Transportraits), Monday, April 25 – Sunday, May 1
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537-7676.
Equality Forum is a national and international LGBT civil rights organization with an educational focus. Equality Forum coordinates LGBT History Month, produces documentary films, and undertakes high-impact initiatives.
SOURCE Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation
More by this Source
Record Visitation To Philadelphia In 2012
May 09, 2013, 12:15 ET
Artistas latinos engalanan los escenarios más importantes de Filadelfia
May 15, 2013, 10:00 ET
Latin Rhythms Liven Up Mainstream Philadelphia Stages This Season
May 15, 2013, 10:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.