ERIE, Pa., Dec. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- In the spirit of the holiday season, Erie Insurance President & CEO Terry Cavanaugh announced a $75,000 collective donation to 24 Community Foundations across 11 states during an employee presentation at the Fortune 500 company's headquarters.
"It takes all of us working together to make a difference, and I'm proud to present this donation in honor of our more than 4,300 employees who continue to help make that difference in our communities every day," said Cavanaugh during the presentation, which was broadcast live to 23 ERIE field offices.
"This is a creative contribution. While each individual Foundation gift is modest, the idea is significant – it's an incredible, creative idea for Community Foundations and corporations across America," said Erie Community Foundation President Mike Batchelor. "This gift shows ERIE's commitment to reaching out to the resources available in their field communities."
"By working with Community Foundations, ERIE further continues its tradition of giving and making positive contributions in the areas where Erie Insurance does business," added Batchelor, who attended the employee presentation and accepted a check on behalf of his Foundation.
In addition to the Erie Community Foundation, the following Charitable Foundations will also receive a portion of the $75,000 donation:
- Community Foundation of Washington County (Hagerstown, Md.)
- The Community Foundation for Montgomery County, an affiliate of The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region (Silver Spring, Md.)
- Rochester Area Community Foundation (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Community Foundation of Central Illinois (Peoria, Ill.)
- Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
- Central Indiana Community Foundation (Indianapolis, Ind.)
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Community Foundation (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Cary Community Foundation, an affiliate of the North Carolina Community Foundation (Cary, N.C.)
- Lehigh Valley Community Foundation (Allentown, Pa.)
- The Foundation for Enhancing Communities (Harrisburg, Pa.)
- Stark Community Foundation (Canton, Ohio)
- The Columbus Foundation (Columbus, Ohio)
- Cornerstone Foundation of Knoxville (Knoxville, Tenn.)
- The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Community Foundation for the Alleghenies (Johnstown, Pa.)
- Community Foundation of Westmoreland County (Greensburg, Pa.)
- Delaware County Community Foundation (Media, Pa.)
- Pittsburgh Foundation (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- Parkersburg Community Foundation (Parkersburg, W.Va.)
- The Community Foundation (Richmond, Va.)
- Foundation for Roanoke Valley (Roanoke, Va.)
- Waukesha County Community Foundation (Waukesha, Wis.)
- Staunton/Augusta/Waynesboro Community Foundation (Waynesboro, Va.)
According to A.M. Best Company, Erie Insurance Group, based in Erie, Pennsylvania, is the 13th largest automobile and homeowners insurer in the United States based on direct premiums written and the 19th largest property/casualty insurer in the United States based on total lines net premium written. The Group, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, has over 4.2 million policies in force and operates in 11 states and the District of Columbia. Erie Insurance Group ranks 484 on the FORTUNE 500.
Erie Insurance earned J.D. Power and Associates' award for "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with the Auto Insurance Shopping Experience." This recognition is based on the results of the 2010 Insurance Shopping Study, which evaluates the experience of customers purchasing a new auto insurance policy. Erie Insurance has also been recognized on the list of Ward's 50 Group of top performing insurance companies. The Ward's 50 award analyzes the financial performance of 3,000 property and casualty companies and nearly 800 life and health insurance companies and recognizes the top performers for achieving outstanding financial results in safety and consistency over a five-year period (2005-2009).
SOURCE Erie Insurance