Esri European Wind User Group Finds New Uses for GIS Members Work on Smarter Ways to Manage the Earth's Resources
REDLANDS, Calif., Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- European wind energy professionals gathered in Dublin, Ireland, recently to discuss innovative ways to meet renewable-energy demands using the Esri ArcGIS platform. Members of the Esri European Wind User Group shared how they apply ArcGIS maps, apps, and tools to offshore and onshore wind-farm development, planning, engineering, construction, operations, and maintenance.
"GIS technology is improving the way we view and manage our planet's resources," said Craig Weber, GIS manager at Mainstream Renewable Power in Toronto, Canada, who is serving as the group's 2013–2014 president. "What's common amongst this group of users is [that] we rely on the ArcGIS platform to support the way we produce and deliver energy from wind—a renewable resource with great potential to meet our energy demands."
Highlights of the meeting included the following:
- EDP of Portugal showed how to use geographic information systems (GIS) for both ongoing land assets and leases management and royalty payment processing to landowners.
- Esri Germany explained how GIS can be used to perform shadow analysis of rotor blades.
- Esri partner Geonis shared a solution to support design and construction activities.
- Esri partner OSISoft discussed how the integration of real-time data and GIS helps with performance and production optimization and reliability.
- Mainstream Renewable Power discussed GIS maturity within the organization and how to promote GIS as a core business function.
To get connected and join the wind energy community, operators and developers are encouraged to join the group on LinkedIn.
Since 1969, Esri has been giving customers around the world the power to think and plan geographically. The market leader in geographic information system technology, Esri software is used in more than 300,000 organizations worldwide including each of the 200 largest cities in the United States, most national governments, more than two-thirds of Fortune 500 companies, and more than 7,000 colleges and universities. Esri applications, running on more than one million desktops and thousands of web and enterprise servers, provide the backbone for the world's mapping and spatial analysis. Esri is the only vendor that provides complete technical solutions for desktop, mobile, server, and Internet platforms. Visit us at esri.com/news.
Copyright © 2013 Esri. All rights reserved. Esri, the Esri globe logo, GIS by Esri, ArcGIS, esri.com, and @esri.com are trademarks, service marks, or registered marks of Esri in the United States, the European Community, or certain other jurisdictions. Other companies and products or services mentioned herein may be trademarks, service marks, or registered marks of their respective trademark owners.