Ethicon Endo-Surgery Highlights Comprehensive Colorectal Solutions Aimed at Improving Patient Care at ASCRS 2012
Company to Focus on Educating Physicians, Providing Surgical Solutions that Enable Better Outcomes, Advocating for Patients and Partnering with Health Plans
CINCINNATI, June 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. (EES), a leading provider of advanced surgical solutions for minimally-invasive and open procedures, will present its comprehensive portfolio of colorectal solutions focused on improving the quality of patient care in its tenth consecutive year as a top supporter of the American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS) Annual Scientific meeting, June 2-6 in San Antonio, Texas. EES' colorectal solutions portfolio, including advanced access, stapling and energy devices, and educational initiatives developed to support the colorectal disease community and help enable better clinical outcomes, is built upon four key pillars: product innovation, professional education, health care policy solutions, and patient awareness and advocacy programs.
"EES is deeply committed to the pursuit of evolving innovation in the surgical diagnosis and treatment of colorectal diseases that results in minimal tissue trauma and better clinical outcomes for patients," said David Venner , Vice President of U.S. Commercial Operations at EES. "EES supports professional societies, colorectal surgeons, patient advocacy groups and health plans and employers to unite in this pursuit. We believe that continuing education and training, and the development of comprehensive, scientifically-based, innovative products – and non-product solutions – are critical to making the patient, and physician, experience a positive one."
Advancing Surgery through Professional Education and Training
Aimed to advance surgical skills in both open and minimally invasive colorectal procedures that can lead to better clinical outcomes for patients, EES will conduct a series of in-booth talks, simulations and hands-on technology and lab experiences during ASCRS.
The company is taking a new approach to education and product demonstration this year by offering attendees a mini-Endo Surgery Institute lab experience, bringing it from Cincinnati inside its exhibit booth (#301). Surgeons can gain hands-on experience with EES devices in a simulated procedural environment. EES will offer ongoing educational sessions in its exhibit booth as well; sessions include:
- Monday, June 4, 12:45-1:30 pm – Urban Legends in Stapling & Energy: OR Myths and Facts – Scott Steele , MD, FACS, FASCRS, Madigan Army Medical Center (Tacoma, WA) and University of Washington (Seattle, WA) and Richard L. Whelan , MD, FACS, FASCRS, Columbia University and St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital (New York, NY)
- Monday, June 4, 3:00-3:30 pm – The Affordable Care Act: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly – Anthony Senagore , MD, MS, MBA, FACS, FASCRS, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- Tuesday, June 5, 10:15-10:45 am – Leadership Skills for the Young Surgeon: Steps for Success – Bartley Pickron , MD, University of Texas Medical School at Houston (Houston, TX) and Sharon Stein , MD, FACS, University Hospital Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)
- Tuesday, June 5, 12:45-1:30 pm – Crohn's Disease: Is the Era of Biologics Changing the Surgeon's Approach? – Anthony Senagore , MD, MS, MBA, FACS, FASCRS, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) and Michael Stamos , MD, FACS, FASCRS, University of California, Irvine (Irvine, CA)
In addition, EES is supporting courses at ASCRS through educational grants.
EES also offers the "Learning Journey," a professional education program launched in 2011 and developed to evolve the traditional face-to-face training approach into a multi-step, multi-function offering that allows surgeons, residents and nurses to learn at their own pace. More information is available at www.eeseducation.com.
The Right Solutions to Help Enable Superior Outcomes in Colorectal Procedures
EES provides a full range of surgical solutions designed to minimize the impact surgical procedures have on living tissue, help improve patient outcomes and advance healing. Aligned with key surgical jobs in colorectal procedures, the following products will be featured at ASCRS:
- Access – ENDOPATH® XCEL™ with OPTIVIEW® Technology (5mm): Trocar designed to mitigate smudging of the endoscopic or laparoscopic camera lens during surgical procedures.
- Dissection – HARMONIC ACE® 45E Curved Shears: Designed to handle multiple surgical jobs – dissection, sealing, and transection – all with precision. Since fewer instrument exchanges are necessary, surgeons can focus more closely on the surgery for longer periods of time.
- Tissue Transection – ECHELON FLEX™ Powered ENDOPATH® Stapler: First powered endocutter with enhanced system-wide compression and stability, allowing surgeons greater control in laparoscopic surgery.
- Large Vessel Sealing – ENSEAL® G2 Tissue Sealers: First bi-polar advanced energy technology designed to improve surgeon confidence in tissue affect by delivering strong vessel seals, while remaining gentle on tissue.
Advocating Early Screening and Treatment Options for Patients
Since 2007, EES has partnered with the ASCRS, the Colon Cancer Alliance and CBS HealthWatch™, to raise awareness about colorectal cancer and the importance of early screening and treatment. Each year the campaign coincides with National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month (March). This year's campaign kicked off with a live CBS HealthWatch™ webcast, which was moderated by Dr. Travis Stork of the Emmy-award winning talk show "The Doctors," and featured a panel of surgeon experts answering questions live from patients, caregivers and surgeons. This campaign also raised awareness of colorectal cancer through a series of public service announcements (PSAs) airing in eight cities across the U.S. For more information, please visit www.smarterpatient.com/coloncancer, or go to www.CBSNewYork.com/colonhealth to view the webcast.
Educating Employers and Health Plans
EES also collaborates with health plans and employers to drive the adoption of minimally invasive procedures in support of better patient outcomes. In addition to the benefits of minimally invasive procedures for patients, EES has case studies to support the benefit to health plan providers and employers offering minimally invasive procedures to their members and employees. Potential benefits include shorter hospital stays and faster recovery time. EES also creates tools for employers to share with their employees to educate them about different diseases and conditions (including colorectal) and their treatment options. For more information, please visit http://www.ethiconendosurgery.com/payor/healthcarepolicy/overview.
About Ethicon Endo-Surgery
Ethicon Endo-Surgery is the world's leader in providing advanced medical devices for minimally invasive and open surgical procedures, focusing on procedure-enabling devices for the interventional diagnosis and treatment of conditions in general and bariatric surgery, as well as gastrointestinal health, gynecology and surgical oncology. More information can be found at www.ethiconendosurgery.com.
SOURCE Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.