MEMPHIS, Tenn., Aug. 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Evergreen Packaging, a global leader in beverage paperboard carton manufacturing, today announced the winners of its inaugural Evergreen Packaging Student Sustainability Leadership Scholarship Program. The program was open to high school and college students whose parent or guardian is a US-based Evergreen Packaging employee and who demonstrate sustainability leadership in their school or community. Each of the six nation-wide winners will receive a scholarship, with Evergreen awarding $4,000 in grants to winners.
The Student Sustainability Leadership Scholarship program was developed as part of Evergreen Packaging's commitment to building a sustainable business and promoting sustainable communities. Evergreen's focus on sustainability includes promoting community engagement that involves environmental, economic, and social considerations. Six students from across the country were selected for their outstanding dedication and community leadership.
The national winners of the contest are as follows:
- First Place: Maria Roufaeil (Olmsted Falls, Ohio) – Roufaeil spearheaded work on her college's Memory Garden – she helped to write a grant proposal for the garden and also designed and contributed to the building of the space.
- Second Place: Hayden Bailey (Athens, Georgia) – Bailey managed several gardens in her community that provide fresh produce for food pantries throughout Athens.
- Third Place: Kylie Upthegrove (Turlock, California) – Upthegrove was part of a month-long research project studying metal contaminates in Montana waterways, and how they may be affecting local wildlife.
High School Students:
- First Place: Srilakshmi Velrajan (Memphis, Tennessee) – Velrajan is heavily involved in the school's organic garden, and the farm-to-fork fellowship at a local park– promoting environmental consciousness in Memphis.
- Second Place: Kaya Griffin (Pine Bluff, Arkansas) – Griffin gives back to her community by volunteering as a teen court "jury" member.
- Third Place: Korey Huskonen (Olmsted Falls, Ohio) – Huskonen led his school's "Here's to your future" project, helping fellow students navigate the college application process and connect with working professionals.
"Promoting a positive future for people and the planet is a major focus at Evergreen Packaging, and we believe encouraging our youth to do great things in their communities is critical to that goal," said John Rooney, President and Chief Executive Officer for Evergreen Packaging. "Whether they are building community gardens or volunteering with the elderly – each of these young people is doing their part to make a positive local impact."
Evergreen tapped scholastic specialists and sustainability experts to participate in the program judging committee. These judges included:
- Tom Posey: Posey, of Asheville, North Carolina, has 40 years of high school administrative experience. He was a founding member of the Haywood County Schools Foundation that was established in 1984 and he is still active with the Foundation. The foundation awarded scholarships to students and teacher grants in excess of $250,000 in 2015 alone. Posey has participated in the rating of numerous student scholarship applications over the years.
- Laura Morris: Morris is the Executive Director of Shelby Farms in Memphis, Tennessee. The Park's bold and visionary Master Plan is a road map to greatness – not just for Shelby Farms Park, but for the Memphis community. The Plan is guided by a commitment to environmental stewardship excellence.
- Steve Estes: Estes is the Chief Human Resources Officer of Rank Group Limited. Estes works with clients in the packaging, consumer goods, building supplies, and automotive aftermarket industries.
For more information on the program, and to see other ways Evergreen Packaging is promoting a focus on sustainability, visit www.evergreenpackaging.com/about.
About Evergreen Packaging®
Evergreen Packaging is a global leader in creating fiber-based packaging solutions customized to deliver product freshness and brand distinction. Evergreen Packaging is a vertically integrated packaging company, delivering total solutions of barrier paperboard, technical expertise, equipment and service.
Evergreen Packaging cartons have the eco-friendly attributes consumers want: more than 70 percent of the carton is made from paper derived from a renewable resource: trees. Cartons are also recyclable for an increasing number of households. In addition, our cartons are made with renewable energy – over 50% of the energy used to make the paper in our carton comes from biomass.
SOURCE Evergreen Packaging