MEMPHIS, Tenn., Jan. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Evergreen Packaging®, a leader in beverage paperboard carton manufacturing, announced the winners of its sixth Made By Milk™ Carton Construction Contest. Southfield Regional Academic Campus from Southfield, Michigan, won the grand prize of $5,000 for their 16-foot carton sculpture Alligator, made out of 1,345 repurposed milk cartons. The contest theme for Fall 2015 was "Animals" – with entries ranging from a life-sized bronco to a complete underwater diorama. The Southfield students were inspired to build the creation to honor their school mascot and represent the students' fierce determination to succeed.
"This semester's theme inspired some of our most impressive entries yet; the carton animals that these students created really showcased their artistic talent and creativity while encouraging the students to learn about the importance of recycling and the sustainability of cartons," said Katie Simmons, marketing manager for Evergreen Packaging. "Congratulations to all of the Made By Milk™ Fall 2015 winners and participants."
Each of the 156 participating teams was required to write a short essay detailing how their school would use the prize money if they won. Extra consideration was given if the prize money would be used to support eco-friendly practices. Southfield Regional students plan to use their grand prize to spruce up their school's courtyard and pond by planting flowering trees, spring bulbs and fall blooming flowers for the whole school to enjoy.
"We are incredibly proud of our students for being chosen as the winners of the Made By Milk™ contest. The contest inspired them to set lofty goals and work collaboratively to accomplish great things," said Southfield Regional Academic Campus Principal Dwayne Eason. "Participating in Made By Milk™ increased our students' confidence and showed them the positive results of hard work and dedication."
Since August 2012, Evergreen Packaging has utilized the Made By Milk™ program to raise awareness among consumers on the benefits of paper cartons. Cartons are a great packaging choice because more than 70 percent of milk carton packaging is paper, made from trees, a renewable resource. Over 50 percent of U.S. households have access to carton recycling, and that number is on the rise.
13 other schools were recognized across various categories for their innovative and creative carton designs. They include:
- People's Choice Winner:
- Seabreeze Elementary School, Jacksonville Beach, Florida; "Whale of a Project"
- Elementary – more than 300 cartons
- Del Lago Elementary, Mission Viejo, California; "Delly the Bottlenose Dolphin"
- Hiawatha Elementary School, Hiawatha, Kansas; "Oscar Octopus has a Pearl of Advice: Never Refuse to Reuse"
- Schuylerville Elementary School, Schuylerville, New York; "Secre-DAIRY-iet"
- Elementary – under 300 cartons
- Stepping Stones Day Program, Fulton, New York; "Haudenosaunee Indian Bear"
- Tice Elementary, Fort Myers, Florida; "Lechito"
- Don R. Roberts Elementary; Little Rock, Arkansas; "Robert the Eagle"
- Middle/High School – more than 300 cartons
- John F. Kennedy Jr. School, Elmhurst, New York; "Cecil the Lion"
- Canon-McMillan High School, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania; "Circle of Life"
- Tate Topa Tribal Middle School, Ft. Totten, North Dakota; "Panda in Ruins"
- Middle/High School – under 300 cartons
- Eastern High School, Louisville, Kentucky; "American Pharaoh"
- Martin High School, Laredo, Texas; "Tiger in the Jungle"
- Norwin High School, North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania; "Wild World"
The next Made By Milk™ Construction Contest will take place in Fall 2016. For more information and to view all entries, visit www.madebymilkcontest.com.
About Evergreen Packaging®
Evergreen Packaging is a global leader in creating fiber-based packaging solutions customized to deliver product freshness and brand distinction. Evergreen Packaging is a vertically integrated packaging company, delivering total solutions of barrier paperboard, technical expertise, equipment and service. Evergreen Packaging cartons have the eco-friendly attributes consumers want: more than 70 percent of the carton is made from paper derived from a renewable resource: trees. Cartons are also recyclable for an increasing number of households. In addition, our cartons are made with renewable energy – over 50% of the energy used to make the paper in our cartons comes from biomass.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/evergreen-packaging-names-winners-of-made-by-milk-carton-construction-contest-300200311.html
SOURCE Evergreen Packaging