LAS VEGAS, April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- One year after Congress failed to pass legislation to require comprehensive gun background checks despite near-unanimous public support, gun violence survivors, moms, health care professionals, and faith and community leaders will gather today to launch 'Everytown for Gun Safety,' a new gun violence prevention group. Everytown will ask Americans to join the fight to reduce the gun violence that kills 86 Americans every day and affects every town – big cities and small towns alike.
The event in Las Vegas is just one of a number of events happening around the country today that will bring together local community leaders to speak out for common-sense gun laws that will reduce gun violence.
What: Gun violence survivors, moms, health care professionals, and faith and community leaders will gather today to launch 'Everytown for Gun Safety' a new gun violence prevention group
- Erica Lafferty, whose mother, Principal Dawn Hochsprung, was killed in the Sandy Hook School shooting in 2012
- Rev. Pat Spearman, State Senator, US Army veteran and pastor at the Resurrection Faith Community Ministries
- Linda Cavazos - Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense Ambassador and mental health care professional
- Teresa Crawford, local activist, retired RN and one of nine White House Champions of Change in Gun Violence Prevention
- Bob Cavazos, Air Force veteran, life-long gun owner and former NRA member
When: Today, April 16 at 12:00 PM
Where: Grant Sawyer Building,
555 E Washington Avenue
Las Vegas, NV
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown for Gun Safety is a movement of Americans fighting for common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence and save lives. Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 1.5 million supporters including moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for reforms that respect the Second Amendment and protect people. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, founded in 2006 by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Boston Mayor Tom Menino, and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a grassroots movement of American mothers founded on the day after Newtown. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown
Jack Warner, email@example.com
SOURCE Everytown for Gun Safety