Experian Marketing Services study finds personalized emails generate six times higher transaction rates Use of responsive design within email has doubled since 2012; pop-up windows up 107 percent
NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Experian Marketing Services, a global provider of integrated consumer insight, targeting, data quality and cross-channel marketing, released its 2013 Email Market Study today, an annual analysis of growing trends, stats and proven best practices for how marketers connect with consumers through email. The study found that personalized emails generate six times higher transaction rates and revenue per email than nonpersonalized email. However, while the majority of brands market to their consumers in multiple channels, only 7 percent market to consumers based on their communication preferences.
"Consumers have come to expect content tailored to their unique interests and preferences, and there is a clear business case for why marketers need to meet those expectations," said Peter DeNunzio, general manager, cross-channel marketing, Experian Marketing Services. "As the Email Market Study indicates, marketers are testing various personalization tactics and consumers are responding, but we still have more to learn."
According to the study:
- Personalized promotional mailings have 29 percent higher unique open rates and 41 percent higher unique click rates than nonpersonalized mailings
- Personalized, triggered mailings have similar lifts, with 25 percent higher unique open rates and 51 percent higher unique click rates
- Personalized, trigger campaigns result in more than double the transaction rates of nonpersonalized trigger mailings
- Multichannel retailers see a 37 percent increase in unique open rates for emails with personalized subject lines when compared to emails sent during the same period with nonpersonalized subject lines
Experian Marketing Services' analysis also found that marketers embraced new tactics in 2013 to increase the effectiveness of their email marketing campaigns. Growing trends include:
- Pop-up windows: Forty-five percent of marketers use pop-up windows on their Websites to collect email addresses. This number increased 107 percent since last year.
- Responsive design: Brands are looking for ways to deliver an optimal experience to customers across screens. This is exemplified by the use of responsive design within email campaigns, technology that automatically adjusts emails to the user's screen, which more than doubled in 2013 from 2012.
- Social influence and brand advocacy: Promoting social networks in emails increased in 2013. Pinterest was the fastest growing social network used by retailers, followed by Instagram.
The full Email Market Study is available on Experian Marketing Services' Website: http://ex.pn/1exm3Cr
Those interested to hear more about key takeaways from the report can also watch this video chat: http://ex.pn/1brdF6H.
About Experian Marketing Services
Experian Marketing Services is a global provider of integrated consumer insights and targeting, data quality and cross-channel marketing. We help organizations from around the world intelligently interact with today's dynamic, empowered and hyperconnected customers. By coordinating seamless interactions across all marketing channels, marketers are able to plan and execute superior brand experiences that deepen customer loyalty, strengthen brand advocacy and maximize profits.
For more information, please visit http://www.experian.com/marketingservices.
Experian® is the leading global information services company, providing data and analytical tools to clients around the world. The Group helps businesses to manage credit risk, prevent fraud, target marketing offers and automate decision making. Experian also helps individuals to check their credit report and credit score, and protect against identity theft.
Experian plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index. Total revenue for the year ended March 31, 2013, was US$4.7 billion. Experian employs approximately 17,000 people in 40 countries and has its corporate headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, with operational headquarters in Nottingham, UK; California, US; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.
For more information, visit http://www.experianplc.com.
Experian and the Experian marks used herein are service marks or registered trademarks of Experian Information Solutions, Inc. Other product and company names mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.
Experian Marketing Services
1 212 863 4648
SOURCE Experian Marketing Services