NEW YORK, April 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- EyeLock LLC, a leader of iris-based identity authentication solutions, today announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued U.S. Patent No. 9,613,281. The patent broadly covers the linking of an iris image with a face image acquired in sequence (during the same transaction) and represents the company's 45th issued patent.
"The issuance of our latest patent is very timely given the multi-modal biometric capabilities that have recently come to market on flagship smartphones," said Jim Demitrieus, CEO of EyeLock. "The patent is for a method in which images of the iris and face are tracked in a sequence that validates that both images are from the same, live person. The importance in the process is the real-time tracking that links the iris image to the face image."
As an example, Mr. Demitrieus noted that a mobile phone incorporating EyeLock's patented method would use iris authentication sequentially linked to facial imaging or recognition to provide a high level of assertion that the person conducting the transaction is real and not a machine or a hack.
The patented method is critical to the Internet of Things (IoT) framework by providing:
- a mechanism against fraud by assuring that iris biometrics are obtained in real time from the same live person as the facial image, even if these images are captured by different cameras;
- stronger authentication where both iris and facial images are used in multi-factor authentication;
- capability for continuous authentication of a user (e.g., throughout a session) that switches between the use of iris and facial biometrics as they are available;
- non-repudiation of biometrics used in a transaction by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed;
- deterrence of fraud in a transaction authorized via biometrics by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed; and
- an effective means for user redress in a transaction authorized via biometrics by capturing and retaining a corresponding, recognizable facial image for the transaction that is retrievable as needed.
This is merely one example of how EyeLock has achieved significant technological breakthroughs and solved integration challenges that have historically been a barrier to mass-market adoption of iris authentication technology. In addition, the Company's approach provides maximum flexibility by offering designs that have either on-board or host-based processing and illumination. Algorithm performance capabilities for speed and accuracy have been validated by Novetta, a leader in advanced analytics technology and independent biometric testing, as unmatched in the market. The EyeLock reference designs have working distances of up to 60 cm with a false accept rate of 1 in 1.5 million for single eye authentication and a false reject rate of less than 1%.
Click this link to read the patent application.
EyeLock LLC, a majority owned subsidiary of Voxx International Corporation, is an acknowledged leader in advanced iris authentication for the Internet of Things (IoT), providing the highest level of security with EyeLock ID™ technology. Iris authentication is highly secure because no two irises are alike and the iris is the most accurate human identifier other than DNA. The company's significant IP portfolio, including more than 100 patents and patents pending, and proprietary technology enables the convenient and secure authentication of individuals across physical and logical environments. EyeLock's solutions have been integrated and embedded across consumer and enterprise products and platforms, eliminating the need for PINs and passwords. Corporations across the Fortune 500 recognize the level of security EyeLock provides due in part to its extremely low false acceptance rate, ease of use, and scalability. As a sponsor member of the FIDO (Fast IDentity Online) Alliance, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating a safer and more secure digital presence for consumers, EyeLock is dedicated to advancing digital privacy and next generation security. For more information, please visit www.eyelock.com.
Game 7 Comms
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eyelock-receives-patent-for-sequentially-linking-iris-matching-with-facial-imaging-300434105.html
SOURCE EyeLock LLC