CHESTERLAND, Ohio, Aug. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fairmount Minerals announced today the company achieved 107% of its 2012 sustainable development (SD) goals that are part of a continuing, strategic commitment to corporate social responsibility.
The results of the annual goals, which guide the company in reducing its environmental footprint, increasing its community involvement, and enhancing health and wellness, are published in the Fairmount Minerals 2012 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report: Advancing the Conversation.
The CSR report highlights specific achievements, including
- creating $6.5 million in value by sustainable development teams and initiatives
- generating nearly $6.2 million in fuel saving from reconfigured transportation methods
- reducing waste to landfill, with zero-waste-to-landfill facilities, by nearly 87% from the company baseline
- achieving more than $500,000 in recycling saving
- fully offsetting the company's Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions, whose guidelines are set by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), by planting almost 70,000 trees
- participating in 23 local community outreach engaging sustainability (CORES) events across all facility locations.
"In 2012, our conversations reached new heights. In addition to educating stakeholders and reporting our progress, we discovered new opportunities to invite stakeholder feedback, questions, and reflections," said CEO and President Jenniffer Deckard.
Fairmount Minerals has been dedicated to setting an example as an outstanding corporate citizen in all of the communities in which its family members live and work since the company's first Sustainable Development and Appreciative Inquiry (SD and AI) Summit in 2005. The summit set the tone for continuing conversations with stakeholders about a shared vision for corporate social responsibility.
"With the amount of talent within Fairmount Minerals and with our commitment to ongoing conversations with our stakeholders, we have limitless potential for growth and innovation," said Deckard.
Fairmount Minerals began sustainability reporting seven years ago. This is the fifth consecutive year the company has achieved an Application Level A rating from the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), part of the United Nations Environment Programme.
About Fairmount Minerals
Fairmount Minerals is one of North America's largest producers of industrial sand. The Chesterland, Ohio-based company operates a global network of mining, mineral processing, manufacturing, and coating facilities and R&D offices.
Fairmount Minerals' specialized sands advance a vast array of industries and markets, such as construction, filtration, foundry, glass, sports turf, and oil and gas. The company's employees bring its sustainability motto of 'Do Good. Do Well.' to life and embrace its sustainable development (SD) mission of People, Planet, and Prosperity. For more information, please visit: www.fairmountminerals.com.
SOURCE Fairmount Minerals