Family of Mesothelioma Victim Appeal to Former Colleagues
LONDON, January 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
The family of a Fulham man who died from cancer after he was exposed to asbestos through his work in the 1960s and 70s have appealed to his former colleagues to come forward in their fight for justice.
Terence Thompson, formerly of Rosaline Road, Fulham, was 69 when he died of the painful asbestos-related lung cancer mesothelioma in February 2012, after being diagnosed with the disease in June 2010.
His widow Shirley, 71, and daughter, Susan Carroll, 45, are now beginning their fight for justice against Mr Thompson's former employers - who they believe could be responsible for his illness and subsequent death - for exposing him to asbestos more than 40 years ago.
"When dad was taken ill and admitted to Charing Cross Hospital in May 2010, his doctors suspected he had a serious condition," said Ms Carroll of Ealing. "After he was diagnosed with diffuse mesothelioma in June, he underwent a number of treatments over the next several months including both chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
"But his condition deteriorated and it became painfully obvious that Dad was seriously ill," said Ms Carroll. "In December last year he was admitted to Trinity Hospice in Clapham. Fortunately, he was able to come home at Christmas and although he was readmitted in January 2012, we were thankful that Mum was at least able to stay with him in the hospice until he died the following month."
As mesothelioma is only ever caused by exposure to asbestos and can take several decades to appear, Mrs Thompson got in touch with Andrew James, an industrial disease specialist at Fentons Solicitors LLP, to try and find out if her late husband's former employers had been responsible for his death.
Mr James said he was now looking at two areas where Mr Thompson was likely to have been exposed to the asbestos that killed him. "Terence Thompson worked in the early 60's and 70's as a plastic moulder making Bakelite and plastic shells for electrical products for a company called Landis & Gyr Ltd, based in Victoria Road in Acton," he said. "At that time, Bakelite and plastic products were made using a filler that often contained asbestos dust. It's a sad fact that many plastic moulders were exposed to deadly asbestos fibres and dust during their work."
Between 1972 and 1973, Mr Thompson was employed by the Greater London Council (GLC) and worked as a kitchen porter at the Barlby Road School in Ladbroke Grove. Mrs Thompson said she recalls him working in areas where there were badly damaged walls, believed to have been made from asbestos board.
Mr James said if he is to help secure Mr Thompson's family the justice they deserve, he now needs information and help from anyone who knew or worked with Mr Thompson throughout those years. "The problem we face is locating people who knew and worked alongside Terence so they can help to verify his working conditions," he said.
Can you help? If you remember working alongside Terence Thompson between 1963 and 1973, for Landis & Gyr Ltd in Acton or at the old Barlby Road School in Ladbroke Grove, or if you think you can help in any way, please call Andrew James on 0844 893 6702.
Search: Fentons Personal Injury Solicitors
More by this Source
Coroner Finds Systemic Failings Led to Mental Health Patient's Death
Jul 15, 2013, 05:34 ET
Fentons Welcomes Law Society's Campaign to Tackle Insurers
Jul 02, 2013, 13:14 ET
Stark Warning Over Child Locks After Serious Injury to Toddler
Jun 20, 2013, 08:57 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.