Fandor Debuts Internationally; Launches On-Demand Film Service for Canadian Audiences
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fandor, the leading on-demand movie service with a global library of independent films, today announced that the company is expanding to Canada (www.fandor.ca).
Launched in the U.S. in March 2011, the Fandor service combines discovery features, expert curation and social collaboration so audiences can explore the world of independent film and find cinematic gems they didn't even know existed. Under Fandor's unique distribution and revenue model, the company allocates half of its subscription fees to support independent filmmakers.
Fandor's Canadian service features over 2,200 independent releases, with more added every day, and includes award-winning narrative and documentary features, quality shorts and film festival favorites from across the globe, including:
- City of Life and Death directed by Lu Chuan (courtesy of Kino Lorber)—Toronto International Film Festival, 2009
- Smithereens directed by Susan Seidelman (courtesy of FilmBuff)— Toronto International Film Festival, 1982
- Carcasses directed by Denis Cote (courtesy of Vanguard Cinema) — Toronto International Film Festival, 2009
- Local Color directed by Mark Rappaport (courtesy of the filmmaker)
With a monthly or an annual subscription, Canadian audiences can stream unlimited films from an extensive cinema library that spans nearly 400 genres, directly to their TVs, computers, mobile devices or tablets.
"Fandor provides a unique library of films to people wherever they are, on whatever device they prefer for media consumption," said Dan Aronson, co-founder and CEO of Fandor. "Launching in Canada allows us to bring our collection of films to a broader audience hungry to discover great content they may not otherwise find."
Features of the new service include:
- A recommendation engine that considers a user's stated tastes and ongoing activity to provide refined, personalized recommendations.
- The ability to filter films by cast, crew and film festivals.
- Access to daily news, interviews and multi-media features from Fandor's Keyframe digital magazine. Regular contributors include industry notables B. Ruby Rich (Film Quarterly, UC Santa Cruz, Sight & Sound), Dennis Harvey (Variety) and Michael Atkinson (Village Voice, In These Times).
- Spotlight, a special selection of themed films curated by Fandor twice monthly.
- Social sharing via email and multiple social networks allowing viewers to spread buzz about the films they love.
Launched in 2011, Fandor is the leading on-demand movie service providing access to a curated global library of high-quality, smart independent films. By leveraging online distribution, technology and social media, Fandor takes the hard work out of finding great movies. Fandor's subscription-based service allows audiences to discover cinema through its comprehensive library of thousands of film festival favorites, world cinema, award-winning documentaries and quality shorts. Fandor uses the latest streaming technology to allow viewing anywhere, from home theaters to computers, mobile devices and tablets. For more information, visit www.fandor.com.
More by this Source
Fandor Announces Ted Hope as CEO
Jan 08, 2014, 14:00 ET
Fandor Partners With Cinedigm, Factory 25 and Oscilloscope Laboratories
Dec 04, 2013, 16:16 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.