LOS ANGELES, May 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- "Fast & Furious 6" and "The Hangover, Part III" will be battling it out for moviegoer attention this Memorial Day Weekend, according to Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination. The company released this week's Fanticipation results, which charts movie fan sentiment around the weekend box office line-up, showing Fast & Furious 6" (with a score of 95) surging ahead of "The Hangover Part III" (with a score of 92).
"Epic," the animated adventure from Blue Sky Studios ("Rio" and "Ice Age"), scored an impressive 83 on Fandango's buzz meter, as it is the only new family-oriented release for the holiday weekend. Fanticipation numerical scores (on a 1-100 scale) are calculated based a proprietary analysis of Fandango's advance ticket sales, website and mobile traffic, and social media engagement.
According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 "Fast and Furious 6" ticket-buyers:
- A whopping 93% would commit to seeing a "Fast & Furious 7," even before seeing the sixth installment in the franchise;
- 88% said they are planning to see "Fast & Furious 6" on opening weekend;
- 83% said the film's hip-hop and electronic soundtrack has increased their interest in seeing the movie;
- 72% said the return of Michelle Rodriguez's character inspired them to buy a ticket for the film.
In a separate survey of ticket-buyers for "The Hangover Part III," Fandango uncovered the following:
- 82% of Wolfpack fans said they plan to see the film with a group of friends;
- 76% said the "Hangover" series makes them want to take a Vegas vacation;
- 55% said Zach Galafianakis is the cast member they're most excited to see back on the big screen, compared to 31% for Bradley Cooper and 7% for Ed Helms.
On this week's episode of Fandango's "Weekend Ticket" video series, Chief Correspondent Dave Karger will help moviegoers with their Memorial Day Weekend movie selections by breaking down the new releases: "Fast & Furious 6," "The Hangover, Part III" and "Epic." The episode also features a lively interview with "Fast & Furious 6" star Paul Walker atop a double-decker bus during the film's premiere week in London. "Weekend Ticket" is available for viewing at www.fandango.com/weekendticket.
Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination and an NBCUniversal company, sells tickets to more than 21,000 screens nationwide. Fandango entertains and informs consumers with reviews, commentary, celebrity interviews and trailers, and offers the ability to quickly select a film, plan where and when to see it, and conveniently buy tickets in advance. For many theaters, fans can print their tickets at home or receive them as a paperless Mobile Ticket on their smartphones. Fandango's top-ranking movie ticketing apps, with 33 million downloads, are available on the iPhone and iPad, Android, and many other platforms. Fandango is enjoyed by more than 41 million online and mobile visitors per month. Film fans find Fandango on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fandango and on Twitter @Fandango.