SEATTLE, Dec. 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Fathom, the pioneer in social impact travel and Carnival Corporation's (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) 10th and newest brand, announced today a line-up of fun and memorable recreation, leisure and sightseeing activities available to Fathom travelers to experience in the Dominican Republic when not participating in social impact projects. Whether exploring ancient ruins, interacting with the abundant marine life in the crystal clear water, lounging along the sun-soaked stretches of surf and sand, or participating in social impact activities, travelers will have the opportunity to make the most of their experiences in the Dominican Republic.
Fathom travelers visiting the Dominican Republic can customize their trip to include a variety of unforgettable recreational activities and social impact experiences – including projects focused on educational, environmental and economic development – that perfectly match their interests and desired activity levels. In addition, travelers who prefer to break from scheduled activities during their stay may simply relax and enjoy the island's rugged mystical terrain and fertile valleys, its breathtaking turquoise waters, enchanting waterfalls and tropical rainforests, as well as its predictable weather and scenic beauty.
"At Fathom we are creating purpose-driven impact experiences for our travelers that will make a lasting difference in the lives and the communities in the in the Dominican Republic," said Tara Russell, president of Fathom and global impact lead for Carnival Corporation. "While at the same time, we want our travelers to know there also are many opportunities for them to explore, unwind and recharge during their free time."
Top recreational activities recommended for Fathom travelers include:
- Traditions and Local Flavors – Puerto Plata is home to the first fort built by European settlers in the New World and is one of the many scenic areas on the island. Travelers can explore the city's historical features and shop in the bustling downtown area, which boasts numerous artist studios, rum and cigar factories, and the famed Malecon, a three-mile-long open air beach-side boardwalk with numerous restaurants and shops. Fathom travelers can also stroll through the historical city and visit the San Felipe Fortress, Cathedral San Felipe, Vrugal rum factory, Plaza Independencia and other museum attractions.
- La Isabela, Columbus History and Folklore – The historic town of La Isabela, one of the first European towns in the Americas, gives travelers the opportunity go back in time and walk through nearby ancient ruins to learn about the history of the island and its first inhabitants.
- Beginner Scuba Diving – The country's ample marine life and warm waters make it a prime location for those curious to explore the island's lush underwater world. Whether swimming alongside sea turtles and schools of colorful fish or exploring world-class reefs, a beginner scuba diving course will introduce travelers to the basic safety guidelines required to do a dive with an instructor.
- Two-Reef Snorkel by Catamaran – A day onboard a modern and luxurious Catamaran is the perfect way to discover the beauty of Sosua Bay. Calm waters, diverse species of fish and intricate reef formations make this a great place to put on the flippers and go for dip.
- Countryside Zipline Adventure – Crisscross from platform to platform soaring through the treetops to gain a new perspective on the Dominican Republic and its breathtaking views from the island canopy.
Fathom's MV Adonia will dock at the recently opened Amber Cove located in the Puerto Plata region where travelers will have access to select Amber Cove shore excursions. The port will offer numerous sea and landside experiences, including several beach getaways, kayak, paddle board and snorkeling tours, ATV-like terracross buggy expeditions, Puerto Plata tours, helicopter rides, fishing trips, horseback riding, deep sea fishing tours and catamaran sailings.
Prices for the seven-day trips to the Dominican Republic start at $974 per person, excluding taxes, fees and port expenses and including all meals on the ship, onboard social impact immersion experiences, three onshore social impact activities and related supplies. Prices will vary by season. To secure a spot on future sailings, a fully refundable $300 per person deposit is required for all cabin categories and occupancy levels. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure.
Prices for seven-day itineraries to Cuba start at $1,800 per person, excluding Cuban visas, taxes, fees and port expenses and including all meals on the ship, onboard social impact immersion experiences and on-the-ground cultural immersion activities. Prices will vary by season. To secure a spot on future sailings, a fully refundable $600 per person deposit is required for all cabin categories and occupancy levels. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure. To reserve a spot on future sailings, travelers may call 1-855-9Fathom or work with a travel professional. Learn more at www.Fathom.org.
About Fathom Fathom is a different kind of cruise that combines one's love of travel with the desire to make a difference in the world. It is a new category of travel, social impact travel. Part of the Carnival Corporation (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) family of now ten brands, Fathom offers consumers authentic, meaningful travel experiences to enrich the life of the traveler and work alongside locals as they tackle community needs. Fathom is unique in that it leverages Carnival Corporation's expertise and scale for a one-of-a-kind business model to create long-term collaboration with its partner countries, allowing for sustained social impact and lasting development. Fathom will serve the sizable and growing market of potential social impact travel consumers – approximately one million North Americans – in addition to global travelers already pursuing service-oriented travel experiences worldwide.
Sailing aboard the MV Adonia, a 704-passenger vessel redeployed from Carnival Corporation's P&O Cruises (UK), Fathom will mobilize, educate and equip travelers on every trip allowing for thousands of impact activity days per week – and tens of thousands of travelers a year to communities of promise, providing unprecedented scale for impact.