SILVER SPRING, Md., July 6, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Nutrition Facts label is found on packaged foods and beverages, and can serve as your daily guide for comparing foods and making healthy choices. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is making it even easier to explore and interpret the wealth of information on the Nutrition Facts label with the Nutrition Facts Label Online tool.
Visit and bookmark the Nutrition Facts Label Online today at: http://www.fda.gov/nutritioneducation
NOTE: FDA has issued final changes to update the Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods to reflect the latest scientific information, including the link between diet and chronic diseases. FDA will continue to educate consumers on all aspects of the new Nutrition Facts label, emphasizing the major changes and improvements that will be seen over the next two to three years. For more information, see Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label.
The online tool from FDA provides an overview of the Nutrition Facts label that consumers see now and an in-depth look at specific nutrients and their role in your daily diet. Action tips are also provided throughout, simplifying FDA's advice for using the label to make informed choices and manage specific nutrients you may wish to get "more of" or "less of." Here's what you'll find:
- What's on the Label: Tour the various sections of the label, and then focus on the nutrients you're most interested in. For each nutrient, you'll learn what it is, where it's found, what it does, and how it relates to your daily diet.
- Ingredient List: Find tips for using the Ingredient List, which is also found on food and beverage packaging (often below the Nutrition Facts label). The Ingredient List is a helpful source for identifying whole grain ingredients, saturated fats, and added sugars.
- Nutrition Glossary: See common nutrition-related terms organized in alphabetical order with simple definitions.
- Resources: Explore helpful links to additional information from FDA and other government partners. Use them for further research on nutrition-related topics.
- Downloadables: Get printable nutrition fact sheets to keep and share. Download the entire set, or focus on the particular elements of the Nutrition Facts label you find of interest.
The Nutrition Facts Label Online offers a unique overview of the label and each of its elements. Discover and "bookmark" the interactive tool for use in meal planning and refer to it on your mobile device when shopping, too! By using the online tool, you can familiarize yourself with the Nutrition Facts label to compare foods and beverages, and be equipped to make informed nutrition choices that support a healthy diet.
FDA is proposing to update the Nutrition Facts label for packaged foods. For more information, see Proposed Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label.
Contact: Media: 1-301-796-4540 Consumers: 1-888-SAFEFOOD (toll free), 10 AM to 4 PM ET, Monday through Friday
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fda-launches-nutrition-facts-label-online-a-web-based-guide-for-reading-the-label-300293853.html
SOURCE U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)