February 15 Deadline Approaching to Apply for Federal Alliance for Safe Homes® Scholarship Program
Five $1,500 scholarships target specific areas of study related to disaster mitigation
TALLAHASSEE, Fla., Jan. 17,2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) ®, the country's leading consumer advocate for strengthening homes and safeguarding families from natural and manmade disasters, is continuing its scholarship program, aimed at master and doctoral candidates seeking degrees in various areas of study related to disaster mitigation.
The scholarship program is a higher education extension of StormStruck: A Tale of Two Homes®, a popular interactive severe weather experience at INNOVENTIONS at Epcot® at the Walt Disney World® Resort. StormStruck is sponsored by FLASH and four of its partners: RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd.; WeatherPredict Consulting Inc., an affiliate of RenaissanceRe®; Simpson Strong-Tie® and State Farm®.
One $1,500 annual scholarship will be awarded in each StormStruck sponsor's name.
- RenaissanceRe Risk Management Scholarship – for students performing research on the identification, assessment or prioritization of risk as it relates to natural disaster liabilities.
- Simpson Strong-Tie Structural Engineering & Construction Scholarship – for students performing research on resilient construction materials or techniques.
- State Farm Financial Services Scholarship – for students performing research on financial analysis, investment management or corporate finance as they relate mitigating the effects of, responding to or recovery from natural disasters.
- The WeatherPredict Consulting Inc. Meteorology Scholarship – for students performing research on meteorology or meteorological risk modeling as it relates to natural disasters.
- FLASH Social Science Scholarship – for students performing research on behavior change, societal effects or other social aspects as they relate to natural disaster mitigation or preparation.
"We are excited to continue these five scholarship opportunities for 2013," said Leslie Chapman-Henderson , President and CEO of FLASH. "Because of the generous support of the StormStruck sponsors, students will be better equipped financially to obtain their long-term goals of higher education."
This year's application process opened January 1, 2013 and closes February 15, 2013. Scholarship awardees will be notified by March 15, 2013 regarding their selection as 2013/2014 recipients. Winners will be recognized at the 2013 FLASH Annual Conference November 20 - 22 in Lake Buena Vista, FL where they will be required to present their research findings as posters. For more details on the open application process, interested individuals are encouraged to visit http://www.flash.org/scholarship/.
Federal Alliance for Safe Homes® (FLASH), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, is the country's leading consumer advocate for strengthening homes and safeguarding families from natural and manmade disasters. FLASH collaborates with more than 100 innovative and diverse partners that share its vision of making America a more disaster-resistant nation including: BASF, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Florida Division of Emergency Management, The Home Depot®, International Code Council, Kohler Power Systems, National Weather Service, RenaissanceRe, Simpson Strong-Tie®, State Farm®, USAA® and WeatherPredict Consulting Inc. In 2008, FLASH opened the interactive weather experience StormStruck: A Tale of Two Homes® in Lake Buena Vista, FL. Learn more about FLASH and gain access to its free consumer resources by visiting www.flash.org or calling (877) 221-SAFE (7233). Also, get timely safety tips to ensure that you and your family are always well protected from natural and manmade disasters by subscribing to the FLASH blog – Protect Your Home in a FLASH.
SOURCE Federal Alliance for Safe Homes, Inc. - FLASH
More by this Source
Ensure a Safe and Happy Holiday by Including Winter Weather Preparedness in Your Plans
Dec 04, 2012, 09:58 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.