SAN FRANCISCO, June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Range Networks, the leading U.S. supplier of commercial open source cellular systems, today announced that it has been named to the annual FierceWireless "Fierce 15" list, designating it as one of the top privately-held wireless companies of the year. FierceWireless editors evaluated hundreds of organizations, and found Range Networks to be one of the "fiercest," proven by their creativity and innovations in the marketplace.
- Range Networks is advancing the future of cellular networks with the only complete commercial open source cellular system.
- Range Networks empowers rural communities, first responders, remote outposts and small network operators to deploy cellular networks as part of a pre-existing network or standalone system.
- Made in the U.S.A. and based on open standards, the Range Networks systems are simple to deploy and manage at a fraction of the cost of alternative solutions.
- FierceWireless, an internationally recognized daily email newsletter reaching more than 80,000 senior wireless industry executives, provides executives in over 100 countries with a quick, authoritative briefing on the day's top wireless stories, including new trends and technologies.
- The FierceWireless "Fierce 15" celebrates the spirit of being "fierce" – championing innovation and creativity, even in the face of intense competition. The complete list of winning companies is available on the FierceWireless web site at http://www.fiercewireless.com.
Phil Goldstein, Editor of FierceWireless said:
"Range Networks' cellular systems are based on OpenBTS, its open-source, software-defined radio implementation of the GSM radio access network that presents normal GSM handsets as virtual SIP endpoints. This unique approach to infrastructure lets operators significantly cut down on network deployment costs."
David Burgess, CEO and co-founder of Range Networks said:
"We are thrilled to be recognized by FierceWireless as a leader in the wireless community. We believe in advancing the future of cellular networks by delivering solutions that are affordable and accessible to those remote and rural communities without access to telephone service of any kind. It is an honor to be recognized as a champion in innovation and creativity by the FierceWireless team."
About Range Networks
Range Networks is the future of cellular networks. Founded by the inventors of OpenBTS, the Company provides the only commercial open source cellular system. Range Networks' products are made in the U.S.A., and are simple to deploy and manage at a fraction of the cost of alternative solutions. Based on open standards, Range Networks provides connectivity to existing 2G/3G and 4G networks to rural communities, remote outposts and emergency crews. Additional information is available at: www.rangenetworks.com.
Nadel Phelan, Inc.
SOURCE Range Networks