Fifth Third Bank Announces Plans for Annual Campaign to Serve Local Military and Veterans
CHICAGO, Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago) launched its annual campaign, "Honoring Our Veterans," to honor those in the area who serve our country in the armed forces. In partnership with the Folds of Honor Foundation, The Heart of a Marine Foundation, USO of Illinois, War Dogs Making it Home, Vietnam Moving Wall and the Pritzker Military Museum, bank employees will lead the following efforts:
- Donate to Educate. (Tues., Oct. 15-Fri., Nov. 15) Stop into any Fifth Third Bank to donate to educational scholarships, through the Folds of Honor Foundation, for local families of those wounded or killed in action. The bank will match all donations up to $50,000 total. Donations will also be accepted online and via text (53VETS to 27722 to make a $10 donation). www.foldsofhonor.org
- The Moving Wall Vietnam Veterans Memorial (Thurs., Nov. 7-Mon., Nov. 11). (Opening Ceremony/Media Event: Friday, Nov. 8 @ 10 a.m.). Fifth Third is the proud sponsor of The Moving Wall, a replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. that will exhibit at 1201 W. New York St., Aurora, Ill. 60506. The Wall is engraved with the names of 58,282 Americans who perished in the Vietnam War or are still unaccounted for (Prisoners of War and Missing in Action). The Moving Wall was last in the area 24 years ago, when more than 150,000 people visited. vietnammovingwallaurora.org.
- Pop-Up USO Welcome Center & Veterans Appreciation Rally (Mon., Nov. 11). Union Station Chicago (Canal & Jackson) will again play host to Fifth Third's third annual Veterans Day of Appreciation from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Area veterans, active duty and the public are invited to gather and show appreciation. Visit www.53vets.com for more information. The following events will occur:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Pop-Up USO Welcome Center. Area veterans and active duty are welcome to enjoy a no-dough lunch and like-minded company. (First come, first serve.)
- 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Volunteers will assemble and ship care packages for veterans and active duty soldiers. The public is invited to write notes of appreciation that will go into the packages and donate gently-used and news books for patients at local VA hospitals.
- 12 p.m. Celebrity Care Package Assembly
- 1 p.m. Veterans Day of Appreciation Rally
Several dogs rescued through War Dogs Making it Home and sponsored by Fifth Third are expected to attend. This organization rescues dogs from high-kill shelters and trains them to support veterans with PTSD and traumatic brain injuries, thus saving the life of both dogs and veterans. Visit www.wardogsmakingithome.org for more information.
"Every single person that lives in the United States benefits from the hard work, commitment and sacrifice of our nation's soldiers," said Robert A. Sullivan, president & CEO, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago). "We're excited to invite the community to join us in demonstrating our gratitude to those who serve in the military through our fundraising campaign and related events."
About Fifth Third Bank
Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Company has $118 billion in assets and operates 15 affiliates with 1,320 full-service Banking Centers, including 104 Bank Mart® locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,405 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 39% interest in Vantiv Holding, LLC, formerly Fifth Third Processing Solutions, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of June 30, 2012, had $291 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $25 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® National Global Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank. Member FDIC.
SOURCE Fifth Third Bank (Chicago)