Fifth Third Bank Chicago Holiday Cheer Benefits Local Military Families & Veterans
- Donates $100,000 to Folds of Honor Foundation
- Assemblies & Sends 1500 Care Packages to Active Troops and Veterans
- Sponsors Holiday Lunch for Illinois National Guard Reservists & Families
- Sponsors USO of Illinois Holiday Gift Card Program
- Sponsors Two Service Dogs for Veterans with PTSD
CHICAGO, Dec. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fifth Third Bank (Chicago) today announced that it has contributed in a number of ways, over the holiday season, to help local soldiers, their families, and veterans. Among the efforts include a donation of $100,000 to the Folds of Honor Foundation that will fund educational scholarships of family members of local soldiers wounded or lost in action. This fundraising effort was part of the bank's annual campaign "Honoring Those Who Serve." Since 2011, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago) has raised and donated a total of $300,000 to the Folds of Honor.
Since its inception in 2007, Folds of Honor has raised more than $25 million and has awarded more than 5,000 educational scholarships to the families of fallen or wounded soldiers. There are more than one million dependents of fallen and wounded military service men and women from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts alone and 87 percent do not qualify for federal scholarship assistance (as of January 2012). The Folds of Honor wants to help ensure that no family is left behind in the field of battle, making sure that we honor their sacrifice and educate their legacy.
"Fifth Third Bank has been an incredible partner," said Major Ed Pulido, Sr. VP, Public Relations and Military Affairs, Folds of Honor Foundation. "Not only has the bank funded many scholarships through their efforts, but they have clearly put a stake in the ground to show their commitment to doing what they can to help those of us who serve." To get more details on the scholarship, visit https://scholarships.foldsofhonor.org.
The bank also conducted a number of efforts aimed at helping local military families and veterans. Among the efforts included:
- Hosting a day of appreciation on Veterans Day in November. In addition to a full day's activity, employees volunteered time to assemble, prepare and ship over 1500 care packages to soldiers in Afghanistan and veterans in a Chicago area VA hospital.
- Sponsored a holiday party in early December for Illinois National Guard Reservists of the 108th Brigade and their families. Many of the reservists will deploy for active duty in early January, making this holiday party extra special.
- Sponsored a holiday gift card program that provided holiday meals for over 150 families through the USO of Illinois' holiday program.
- Sponsored two rescue dogs that will undergo training through War Dogs Making It Home and ultimately paired to help a local veteran suffering from PTSD.
"Every single person that lives in the United States benefits from the hard work, commitment and sacrifice of our nation's soldiers," said Robert A. Sullivan, president & CEO, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago). "Our hearts go out to our soldiers and their families all year long, but especially during the holiday season. We're delighted to be involved and demonstrate our gratitude to those who serve in the military through our fundraising efforts and related volunteer activities."
Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Company has $126 billion in assets and operates 18 affiliates with 1,326 full-service Banking Centers, including 104 Bank Mart® locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,374 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 25% interest in Vantiv Holding, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of September 30, 2013, had $318 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $27 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank was established in 1858. Member FDIC.
SOURCE Fifth Third Bank (Chicago)
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.