MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Findlay College Prep (Henderson, Nev.), Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) and Monteverde (Fla.) hold the top three spots in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for boys basketball for the week of Dec. 3.
Huntington (W. Va.) occupies the No. 4 position, while Chester (Pa.), which will open its season on Dec. 11 against McCaskey (Lancaster, Pa.), sits in the No. 5 spot of this week's rankings.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Undefeated Travis (Richmond, Texas) occupies the No. 10 position in this week's Super 25 rankings, most notably defeating 2012 4A state runner-up Yates (Houston) during last week's Marshall County Hoopfest. Travis is preceded by No. 6 Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.), No. 7 Simeon (Chicago), No. 8 Lone Peak (Highland, Utah) and No. 9 St. Anthony (Jersey City), which opens its 2013 season on Dec. 16 against Neptune (West Orange, N.J.).
Previously unranked Duncanville (Texas) defeated then-No. 18 DeSoto (Texas) and then-No. 14 Prestonwood Christian (Plano, Texas), and now occupies the No. 19 position on this week's Super 25 rankings. Ballard (Louisville) and Centennial (Corona, Calif.) also joined this week's rankings for the first time as Nos. 24 and 25, respectively.
A total of four teams that appeared in the Super 25 preseason rankings have dropped out after early-season losses: DeSoto (Texas), Prestonwood Christian (Plano, Texas), DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) and Norcross (Ga.).
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports boys basketball rankings.
High School Boys Basketball Super 25
For Week of Dec. 3, 2012
- Findlay College Prep*, Henderson, Nev. (11-0)
- Oak Hill Academy*, Mouth of Wilson, Va. (9-0)
- Monteverde (Fla.) Academy* (4-0)
- Huntington (W.Va.) Prep* (7-0)
- Chester, Pa. (0-0)
- Long Beach Poly (4-0)
- Simeon, Chicago (1-0)
- Lone Peak, Highland, Utah (3-0)
- St. Anthony, Jersey City (0-0)
- Travis, Richmond, Texas (6-0)
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (2-0)
- Archbishop Mitty, San Jose (0-0)
- Montrose Christian*, Rockville, Md. (2-0)
- Salesian, Richmond, Calif. (1-0)
- Southwind Academy, Memphis (5-1)
- Gonzaga*, Washington, D.C. (2-0)
- St. Benedict's Prep, Newark (4-0)
- Whitney Young, Chicago (1-0)
- Duncanville, Texas (12-1)
- West, Iowa City (3-0)
- Rainier Beach, Seattle (1-0)
- Gill St.Bernard's, Gladstone, N.J. (0-0)
- Paul VI, Fairfax, Va. (0-1)
- Ballard, Louisville (2-1)
- Centennial, Corona, Calif. (4-0)
*Does not compete for a state championship
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group