ATLANTA and PHILADELPHIA, July 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Fisher & Phillips LLP announced today that it has formed a new Government Solutions Practice Group to help employers who are faced with a fluid and evolving legislative and regulatory regime at the federal, state and local levels of government. The practice focuses on labor and employment legislation and regulations in areas such as: workplace discrimination; employee privacy; wage and hour; employee compensation; trade secrets; employment contracts and terms; unionization and organization efforts; healthcare; immigration; workplace accommodations; employee leave; workers' compensation; workplace safety; affirmative action; and employee benefits.
Practice Group Chairman Rick Grimaldi of the firm's Philadelphia office said: "It's critical that employers remain well-informed about proposed legislation and regulation at any level of government. Our clients want their opinions heard by Congress, the executive branch, and state and local governments, and we plan to help facilitate that."
The Government Solutions Practice Group is comprised of 26 attorneys who are well versed in the area of government affairs. These attorneys will partner with employers to assist them with navigating and advocating for their interests in the modern legislative and regulatory arenas. Grimaldi added: "By partnering with our firm's government affairs attorneys, our clients will stay apprised of legislative developments impacting their interests. This gives them a voice for fair and appropriate policymaking at all levels of government throughout the country."
Working across the firm's nationwide footprint, the practice offers an array of services including:
- Filing amicus curiae briefs with the U.S. Supreme Court, other federal and state courts, and the National Labor Relations Board
- Representing employer views during formal rule-makings by federal, state and local regulatory agencies by filing comments on behalf of clients, assisting clients to file their own comments, and/or testifying before federal, state and local legislative committees and subcommittees
- Ensuring the availability of high level legal and technical resources to support the important efforts of legislators and executive office staff who are (a) defending employer and employee rights against special-interest groups espousing an "anti-employer" or "pro-union" agenda, and (b) supporting balance in employment and labor laws
- Providing a voice for clients with federal, state and local government officials at general-interest trade associations and business organizations, and with other policy groups and natural allies on labor and employment issues
- Supporting positive initiatives, and opposing and/or improving initiatives that would inappropriately restrict employers and business
- Monitoring relevant legislation introduced in Congress, state legislatures and key local municipalities, and providing regular updates on legislative and regulatory activity
Through these services, the attorneys in the Government Solutions Practice Group partner with clients to cooperatively protect and promote their interests, at all levels of government, in the area of labor and employment legislation and regulations.
The attorneys have been posting updates to the firm's Government Solutions Blog at www.fpgovernmentsolutions.com.
About Fisher & Phillips LLP (www.laborlawyers.com)
Fisher & Phillips LLP is a national law firm committed to providing practical business solutions for employers' workplace legal problems. Labor and employment law is all the firm does, offering deep and broad knowledge and experience in the area of the law the attorneys know best. Fisher & Phillips attorneys help clients avoid legal problems, are dedicated to providing exceptional client service, and are there when you need them. The firm has 300 attorneys in 31 offices. The offices are in Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbia, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Gulfport, Houston, Irvine, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, New England, New Jersey, New Orleans, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.
SOURCE Fisher & Phillips LLP