PHILADELPHIA, June 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- There's a mega dose of Fourth of July flash and fun this year in Philadelphia thanks to five major fireworks shows taking place over the long holiday weekend, July 1-4. The three Wawa Welcome America! shows will be bigger than last year and all will take place after free concerts. Add in two pyrotechnic displays following Phillies baseball games for glittering and glowing Philadelphia skies all weekend long.
To join in the patriotic festivities, visitors can go to visitphilly.com/hotels to book the Visit Philly Overnight Hotel Package, which includes free parking.
Here's a look at five fantastic shows:
Friday, July 1:
- Friday night is all about the Sounds of Philadelphia at Penn's Landing. Following a free concert by the Philadelphia Orchestra, a rollicking soundtrack featuring Boyz II Men, Pink and other homegrown artists will drift over the Delaware River waterfront and the skies will glimmer with an eye-popping display of pyrotechnic pizzazz. All of Penn's Landing will be wired for sound and offer great viewing locations from Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest and Spruce Street Harbor Park, as well as the Great Plaza. Columbus Boulevard at Walnut Street, (215) 922-2386, delawareriverwaterfront.com
- Whether they root, root, root for the home team or the visiting Kansas City Royals, fans turn their attention from the baseball diamond to the diamonds in the skies. No matter the final score, the Phillies post-game fireworks display makes it a winning night out. Citizens Bank Park, One Citizens Bank Way, (215) 463-1000 philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com
Saturday, July 2:
- Strike up the red, white and blue. The U.S. Army Band Pershing's Own gets the party started with a repertoire of patriotic tunes and modern hits. And when the last note fades, the crowds will watch as fireworks illuminate the sky above the Delaware River. The show will be choreographed to the powerful musical score, "America, My Home Sweet Home," which will be heard clearly all along Penn's Landing at the Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest, Spruce Street Harbor Park and the Great Plaza. Columbus Boulevard at Walnut Street, (215) 922-2386, delawareriverwaterfront.com
- There's still more action after the final out. The second game between the Phillies and the Kansas City Royals sets off a second round of fireworks. Citizens Bank Park, One Citizens Bank Way, (215) 463-1000 philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com
Monday, July 4:
- After a morning of patriotic ceremonies and a flag-waving parade, an afternoon of free family fun and games and an evening celebrating Philadelphia's musical legacy, it all comes down to the fireworks. This year's show adds power to the pyro with a soundtrack that takes festivalgoers on a journey from July 4, 1776 to July 4, 2016. Rousing musical selections and inspiring quotes from American presidents and other historic figures add drama to the show's America Starts Here theme. 26th Street & the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, (267) 546-5424, welcomeamerica.com
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region's official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia's image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia's official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call and stop into the Independence Visitor Center for additional information and tickets.
Tweet It: Five fireworks shows make @visitphilly the place to be Fourth of July weekend: http://vstphl.ly/1U8R4E7
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/five-fireworks-shows-add-up-to-a-blockbuster-fourth-of-july-weekend-in-philadelphia-300282420.html
SOURCE VISIT PHILADELPHIA