Five Nights Of Premieres Launch The Military Channel's "Red Hot & New Week"
- Special Stunt of All-New Programming Debuts Monday, October 15 -
SILVER SPRING, Md., Sept. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Military Channel is rolling out an ambitious new slate of programs during a special week-long stunt that features premieres and sneak peeks throughout its schedule. "RED HOT & NEW WEEK" is anchored by the world premieres of THE BROKAW FILES and COMMANDER IN CHIEF: INSIDE THE OVAL OFFICE, both of which provide new insight into iconic events in our nation's history from those who witnessed them first-hand. Three additional exciting new series and episodes give viewers unique access to the heart-stopping action of black-ops missions and in-depth looks at the military machines and technology that keep our nation safe. RED HOT & NEW premieres air from Monday, October 15 to Saturday, October 20.
"This unprecedented showcase of our original fall season programming – all in one week – will give viewers a taste of the very best of what the Military Channel has to offer," said Ed Hersh , SVP of Content Strategy for the Military Channel. "With RED HOT & NEW WEEK, the Military Channel is taking an important next step in our evolution, offering a broader range of content that represents the most ambitious programming slate in network history."
The full slate of premieres includes:
THE BROKAW FILES
Series Premieres Monday, October 15 at 10 PM E/P
Series Continues Tuesdays at 10 PM E/P
For more than 50 years, Tom Brokaw has held a front-row seat to history while traveling the world to capture pivotal events like Ronald Reagan during his final days in the Oval Office; World War II veterans returning to the beaches of Normandy 40 years after D-Day; and a day in the life of young crew members aboard a nuclear aircraft carrier deployed to Afghanistan. Now, in THE BROKAW FILES, the legendary NBC News anchor and best-selling author revisits the most iconic moments from his award-winning broadcasts to reflect on those events, and to provide his own fresh perspectives, including personal stories he's never shared, that place these seminal events into a modern context.
- Episode: "Return to D-Day" – On the 40th anniversary of Normandy's storming, Brokaw revisited the battlefield and spoke with three Americans who survived D-Day but are still dealing with the horrific memories. In this episode, Brokaw reflects on his visit to Normandy on that poignant anniversary, recalls when the WWII memorial opened in 2004, and shares his hope that the young people of today will strive to serve their country and give their best to make this nation great.
Sneak Peek Premieres Tuesday, October 16 at 10 PM E/P
Premieres Continue Tuesdays starting December 4 at 9 PM E/P
The Military Channel reveals secrets of the most mysterious agencies, technologies, companies, and groups in the world, such as Delta Force , Shadow Military, CIA Black Ops, Navy SEALs, Green Berets, and Army Rangers. From how they're trained to the technology they use in the field, SECRETS OF… explores these elite groups and reveals why they're so effective.
- Episode: "The Navy SEALs" – The Navy SEALs are one of the most elite special operations forces in the world. From the assault on Osama bin Laden's compound to the rescue of both Jessica Buchanan and Captain Phillips from Somali pirates, this program reveals the missions, tactics, and weapons of this unique military shock force. Interviews with President Obama, Secretary of State Clinton, and Secretary of Defense Panetta give viewers the inside story on the preparation and execution of the SEAL Team 6 assault on the bin Laden compound. Today, there are more than 2,000 active SEALs. Less than one percent of their missions are ever made public, but when they are, it's clear just how vital SEALs are to protecting American interests around the world.
Series Premieres Wednesday, October 17 at 9 PM E/P
COMBAT COUNTDOWN showcases the biggest and best war machines on battlefields around the globe, traveling the world to see the elite technology from the land, sea and air – and meet the brave soldiers who operate them every day.
- Episode: "Need for Speed" – On the battlefield, speed can be the difference between life and death. In this episode, we showcase the fastest speed machines the world's military forces have to offer. From the Striker APC to the legendary Blackbird and the cutting edge CB90 Assault craft, these lightning-fast machines make the difference between the quick and the dead.
New Episode Premieres Wednesday, October 17 at 10 PM E/P
BLACK OPS travels the world to take viewers along on top secret special ops missions. The series reveals how elite special operations units in different countries carry out their high-risk/zero-recognition assignments and shares the inside story of some of the most dramatic military actions in recent history.
- Episode: "Night of Terror" – When 40 Chechen terrorists armed with guns and bombs hold 800 theater-goers hostage, it's up to Russia's elite anti-terrorist force, Spetsnaz group "Alpha," to get the hostages out alive. Negotiation is not an option, and a siege would set off the explosives. The only way to save the hostages' lives is to use an untested top-secret knock-out gas.
COMMANDER IN CHIEF: INSIDE THE OVAL OFFICE
Sneak Peek Premieres Thursday, October 18 at 10 PM E/P
Series Continues Tuesdays starting November 13 at 9 PM E/P
COMMANDER IN CHIEF: INSIDE THE OVAL OFFICE is a gripping television mini-series that reveals the untold stories behind the critical military decisions in different presidencies. Produced by Stephen David Entertainment, known for its acclaimed History Channel specials THE MEN WHO BUILT AMERICA and SECRET ACCESS: THE VATICAN, the program uses never-before-seen footage, newly-released presidential documents, and exclusive interviews with those who witnessed history in the making to reveal what it's like to be inside the Oval Office when the Commander in Chief makes a life or death decision.
- Episode: "Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis" – In marking the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis, this episode brings viewers inside the tense and contentious debates that took place in the White House in October of 1962 as the U.S. and the Soviet Union teetered on the brink of nuclear war. Using rare images and declassified audio recordings, this behind-the-scenes story takes viewers deep into chambers of power where President John F. Kennedy resisted forces pushing him towards war and pulled the world back from the edge of destruction.
AN OFFICER AND A MOVIE
" Red Dawn " Encores Friday, October 19 from 8-11 PM E/P with a Sneak Peek of "Triggers" Season Two
"Missing in Action" Premieres Saturday, October 20 from 8-10:30 PM E/P
Hollywood film and television star Lou Diamond Phillips hosts Military Channel's hit franchise AN OFFICER AND A MOVIE. Airing Saturday evenings, AN OFFICER AND A MOVIE pairs Phillips with retired and active duty officers who lived through major battles or have an expertise in the conflicts depicted in iconic military flicks. As each film makes its Military Channel premiere, AN OFFICER AND A MOVIE provides expert commentary that can only come from being "on the ground" during the action as these officers reflect on the themes of that night's film and also provide personal insight that puts each movie into a modern context.
- " Red Dawn " and TRIGGERS Sneak Peek – In addition to being the star of Military Channel's TRIGGERS: WEAPONS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD, Wil Willis is a former Army Ranger and Air Force Pararescueman who today teaches tactical combat casualty care to deploying military units. In this episode, Willis sits down with host Lou Diamond Phillips to discuss the weapons and tactics portrayed in the 1984 version of Red Dawn .
- "Missing in Action" – Lieutenant Colonel Kate Van Auken , former head of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office at the Pentagon, worked on resolving cases for our nation's missing service-members. Now, she sits down with host Lou Diamond Phillips to screen the 1984 Chuck Norris flick Missing in Action and discuss how the Army actually goes about dealing with POW and MIA situations. There are still 120 open cases of American soldiers who went missing in action in Vietnam, and LTC Van Auken demonstrates how she talks to returned veterans and uses old war journals and high-tech satellite maps to try and retrace soldiers' last steps in order to return their remains to their families.
About Military Channel
The Military Channel brings viewers compelling, real-world stories of valor, heroism, and courage on the battlefield. It also goes back in time, telling the enduring stories of the people and events from the great turning points in history. Currently available in more than 60 million homes, the network takes viewers "behind the lines" to celebrate the personal stories of servicemen and women who defend freedom across the globe. As the only cable network devoted to the armed forces, the Military Channel incorporates the best state-of-the-art CGI animation and never-before-seen footage to offer in-depth explorations of military techniques, aviation technology and cutting-edge weaponry. For more information, please visit Military.Discovery.com, facebook.com/Military, or twitter.com/MilitaryChannel. Military Channel is part of Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories.
Please visit the Press Website at http://press.discovery.com/us/mil
for additional press materials, online screeners, and photography.
SOURCE Military Channel
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.