BOSTON, June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- FlipKey.com, a leading vacation rental marketplace, today launched the first edition of its Travel Insights series highlighting travel trends for 25 popular vacation destinations in the United States. Based on travel plans of millions of FlipKey vacationers over a three-year period, Travel Insights is a series of compelling visualizations revealing where travelers are going, when they are traveling and what they're spending on their vacations.
"Travel Insights allows us to harness the data we have from millions of travelers who have planned their vacations on FlipKey.com and utilize it to share useful tips and trends," said Eric Horndahl, FlipKey's Vice President of Marketing. "Travelers planning their next vacation will have insider knowledge on when to go, where to stay, how far in advance to book and how much to pay for rental accommodations."
The top ten highlights of Travel Insights across the 25 regions include:
- President's Day week is expensive in ski destinations: Colorado and Vermont soar by $70 per night above average during President's Day ski week. The last week of January and first week of February are the best weeks to save on ski lodging.
- Visit Hawaii year-round: a romantic getaway destination where almost half the bookings are for couples, Hawaii's "peak season" is 12 months out of the year.
- Plan ahead for the mountains or Disney: planning time for peak season in Breckenridge, CO is 10-12 weeks out for travelers and 16 weeks out for Orlando's peak.
- Cape Cod's short peak season accounts for high demand in the summer months: average price for a 4-bedroom is $310 a night in June through August.
- San Francisco Bay area has the highest average price per guest at $108 per night.
- Orlando is a family vacation spot: 50% of travelers come in groups of 4-6.
- More than half of Texas Gulf Coast visitors head to South Padre Island.
- Holiday Hideout in the Keys: the Florida Keys are most popular the last two weeks of December.
- The Outer Banks has a "super" peak season: starting in late June and lasting through early August, the average price is more than $400 a night for a rental in OBX.
- Southern California and the California Desert have the highest year-round prices: 50% of all reservation requests are for properties over $200 a night.
To view all 25 editions ofTravel Insights, visit http://www.flipkey.com/blog/flipkey-travel-insights/. And for inspiration for your next vacation, check-out FlipKey's Trip Ideas, showcasing our picks of the best destinations around the globe, for any type of trip http://www.flipkey.com/trip-ideas/.
FlipKey is a leading vacation rental marketplace that makes it easy, safe, and fun to find and book the perfect place to stay. Our verified guest reviews help you search more than 200,000 listings in 12,000 locations around the world. Get a great value and stay in a rental with the space, privacy, and all the amenities of a home.
With more than 4 million monthly unique visits, FlipKey is a TripAdvisor company and helps power the vacation rental experience on TripAdvisor.com—the world's largest travel website.