Focus on Energy Awarded 2012 ENERGY STAR® Sustained Excellence Award
MADISON, Wis., March 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded Focus on Energy a 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award in recognition of its continued leadership in protecting our environment through energy efficiency. Focus on Energy's accomplishments will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., on March 15, 2012, which marks the 20th anniversary of ENERGY STAR.
Focus on Energy, an ENERGY STAR partner since 2006, will be honored for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency. The organization has forged a strong partnership with ENERGY STAR to support its efforts to promote energy efficient homes and businesses throughout Wisconsin. The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program and commercial sector programs demonstrate Focus on Energy's commitment to this partnership, which has led to energy savings for the state of Wisconsin while helping ENERGY STAR develop new national initiatives. Key accomplishments in 2011 include:
- Benchmarking over 100 stores and 100 million square feet with the four large retail customers participating in the Retail Energy Management Challenge as part of Focus on Energy's continued commitment to the Building Performance with ENERGY STAR pilot.
- Completing a multifamily high-rise pilot project that received the ENERGY STAR label in late 2011, with two additional buildings pending 2012 certification and three new buildings enrolled.
- Increasing visibility of ENERGY STAR and Focus on Energy as a result of recruiting efforts for the pilots.
- Integrating ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager benchmarking metrics into targeted marketing for high energy intensity commercial customer outreach.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR within the multifamily market.
- Maintaining an ally network of over 500 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractors and consultants.
- Generating nearly 1 million kWh of savings while serving 5,000 Wisconsin residents.
- Implementing the Residential Housing Energy Evaluation Program to target 2 to 3 unit eligible buildings to take part in Home Performance with ENERGY STAR.
Over the past 20 years, American families and businesses have saved nearly $230 billion on utility bills and prevented greenhouse gas emissions equal to those from more than 350 million vehicles with help from ENERGY STAR.
"Focus on Energy is committed to partnering with ENERGY STAR to maximize energy efficiency in our residential, lighting and business programs," said William Haas, Program Director. "Together, we are helping protect the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions."
The 2012 Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a select group of organizations that exhibit outstanding leadership year after year. The winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, employing innovative approaches, and showing others what can be achieved through energy efficiency. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program including energy-efficient products, services, new homes and buildings in the commercial, industrial and public sectors. Award winners are selected from approximately 20,000 organizations that participate in the ENERGY STAR program.
"As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the ENERGY STAR program, EPA is proud to recognize Focus on Energy with the 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award," said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. "Focus on Energy and all our ENERGY STAR award winners are helping Americans find cost-effective ways to save energy in everything we do, which is good for our climate, our health and our future."
About Focus on Energy
Focus on Energy is Wisconsin utilities' statewide energy efficiency and renewable resource program funded by the state's investor-owned energy utilities and participating municipal and electric cooperative utilities. Focus on Energy works with eligible Wisconsin residents and businesses to install cost-effective energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. Focus on Energy information, resources and financial incentives help to implement projects that otherwise would not be completed. Its efforts help Wisconsin residents and businesses manage rising energy costs, promote in-state economic development, protect our environment and control Wisconsin's growing demand for electricity and natural gas. For more information call 800.762.7077 or visit focusonenergy.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Now celebrating its 20th anniversary, ENERGY STAR offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money and help protect the environment for future generations. About 20,000 organizations are ENERGY STAR partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes, buildings and businesses. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov or call toll-free 1-888-STAR-YES (1-888-782-7937).
Catalina Lamadrid, LEED AP, GHG IQ
Focus on Energy - Director Communications & Marketing
SOURCE Focus on Energy