Food Lion Announces 2012 CIAA Tournament Week Activities
EVENTS OFFER FAMILY-FRIENDLY FESTIVITIES INCLUDING FREE COOKING DEMONSTRATIONS BY CELEBRITY CHEFS, "THE NEELYS"
SALISBURY, N.C., Feb. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Food Lion announced today its continued support of the 100th Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Tournament by sponsoring several events, including the women's tournament, a health and wellness symposium, Miss CIAA Pageant and Taste of Food Lion event hosted by Celebrity Chefs, "The Neelys." All events will be held Feb. 28 through March 4 in Charlotte, N.C.
"Food Lion is honored to be a part of the CIAA's centennial celebration," said Eric Watson, vice president of diversity and inclusion for Delhaize America. "Our 18-year partnership with the CIAA is a strategic alliance that supports our commitment to education, men's and women's athletics, and diversity and inclusion. During the tournament, our company offers a number of events focused on education, and health and wellness programs to attendees. We look forward to an exciting tournament this year."
As a corporate CIAA partner, Food Lion will again serve as the title sponsor for the 2012 Food Lion CIAA Women's Basketball Tournament, which begins Tuesday, Feb. 28 and concludes Saturday, March 3 at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
In addition, Food Lion is sponsoring many family-friendly activities, including:
- Food Lion Health & Wellness Symposium: This three-day event at the Time Warner Cable Arena starts Thursday, March 1 and ends Saturday, March 3. CIAA fans will have the opportunity to attend a Teen Summit, women's education and fitness symposium, receive health and wellness information, as well as participate in various fun activities such as dance contests. Attendees also can view computer-generated photos of how they will look in 25 years.
- Food Lion Day at the CIAA: Food Lion invites its customers and fans to participate in Food Lion Day at the CIAA on Friday, March 2 at the Time Warner Cable Arena. The all-day event will feature interactive games, premium giveaways, Food Lion's CIAA Scholarship check presentation, and each fan attending will receive a free Food Lion T-shirt.
- See Celebrity Chefs, "The Neelys": Celebrity Chefs Pat and Gina Neely will perform live on "The Taste of Food Lion Stage" Saturday, March 3 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., and 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. The free event will be held at the CIAA Fan Experience located at the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Food Lion Miss CIAA Pageant: Twelve women representing each of the 12 CIAA schools will compete for the title of 2012 Miss CIAA Saturday, March 3 at 10 a.m. inside the Time Warner Cable Arena. The event is free.
- Food Lion/Coke Zero Scholarship: Fans attending the CIAA Men's Basketball Tournament Championship game on Saturday, March 3 at 7 p.m. will watch three Food Lion customers receive scholarships for participating in a recent sweepstakes. There will be a $20,000 grand prize scholarship winner, and first and second runner-up winners will receive $10,000 and $5,000 scholarships, respectively.
All events are free, excluding the basketball tournament games. For more information about Food Lion sponsored activities during this year's tournament, go to www.foodlion.com/Promotions
About Food Lion
Food Lion, based in Salisbury, N.C., is a subsidiary of Delhaize America, the U.S. division of Brussels-based Delhaize Group (NYSE: DEG) and operates more than 1,100 supermarkets. The company employs approximately 57,000 associates delivering quality products, low prices and service to customers in 10 Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states. For more information, visit www.foodlion.com.
SOURCE Food Lion
More by this Source
Food Lion to Give Free Cupcake to Children Who "Lion-Up" This Halloween
Oct 29, 2013, 11:01 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.