Force10 Unlocks the Full Potential of the Data Center with Open Cloud Networking Framework
Maximum Choice with Uncompromised Price/Performance Underpin New Vision for Cloud and Conventional Data Centers
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Force10 Networks, Inc., the leader in high-performance data center networking, today announced its Open Cloud Networking(SM) (OCN) framework, a new vision for cloud and conventional data centers that is built on open architectures, open automation, and open ecosystems. The OCN framework represents a new way to build, scale and manage data centers powered by a new family of centralized and distributed core switches, a top of rack (ToR) open cloud switch and automation software that deliver powerful new capabilities for the next generation of data centers.
Data centers have evolved down many paths, and data center owners and operators need a choice in architecture solutions that doesn't compromise price and performance. Force10 recognizes that one size does not fit all when it comes to data centers, and the OCN framework delivers solutions for cloud, conventional, virtualized, and non-virtualized data centers. To support the OCN vision, Force10's new products deliver new levels of port density and performance, a new level of flexibility that gives data center architects a choice in how core and ToR layers are built, and an automated framework that ensures cost-effective deployment and management with lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
"It is good for the market to see Force10 take the open, standards-based architectural approach in their OCN vision. With the OCN option, users have the chance to reduce capex costs by selecting best-of-breed storage, application, orchestration, networking, and computing solutions," said Michael Howard , principal analyst and co-founder of Infonetics Research.
The OCN architecture will continue to evolve over time, but today's announcement introduces three key elements:
- Open Architecture – OCN enables standards-based open architectures that are interoperable with competitors offering customers a choice in how they build their core and top-of-rack elements in the data center. New building blocks for these open architectures include:
- The new Z9000™ distributed core switch, which enables highly scalable, leaf-and-spine data center architectures, is one of the smallest and least expensive core switches ever offered. Designed in a 2RU form factor, it delivers 2.5 Tb of switching capacity in 1/10 the space and with 1/20 the power consumption at 1/5 the price of competing products.
- The new Z9512™ is a centralized, chassis-based switch that delivers 9.6 Tb of switching capacity in half a rack. (See Force10 Networks Announces New Z-Series ZettaScale Open Core Networking Infrastructure for Cloud and Conventional Data Centers, also released today.)
- The S7000™ Open Cloud Switch is a next-generation ToR device that incorporates 3-in-1 ToR convergence of switching, storage, and application processing capabilities. With the ability to run third-party applications directly on the switch, the S7000 delivers a new level of convergence and flexibility at the top of rack. (See Force10 Networks Announces Next-Generation Top-of-Rack Open Cloud Switch; S7000 Combines 3-in-1 Convergence of Switching, SAN, and Application Processing, also released today.)
- New FTOS advanced software features including TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links), DCB (Data Center Bridging), EVB (Ethernet Virtual Bridging), and VEPA (Virtual Ethernet Port Aggregation).
- Open Automation 2.0 – Continuing its leadership in automating switch configuration and management, Force10 is expanding its Open Automation to deliver greater automation capabilities throughout the product line. In the third quarter of 2011, Force10 will open the ScriptStore(SM), an online resource and forums that will allow users to purchase automation scripts and share techniques for automating Force10 products. In addition, Force10 has enhanced the Open Automation Framework with port profile support, EVB/VEPA, and HyperLinks™. (See Force10 Networks Introduces Open Automation 2.0 as Part of Open Cloud Networking Initiative, also released today.)
- Open Ecosystems – Force10 has built a strong ecosystem with industry and technology leaders in the compute, storage, applications and orchestration domains to ensure standards-based interoperability for its OCN solutions.
"With traffic patterns now dominated with east-west plus north-south flows and latency plus scale being of primary concern, data center architects are now focused on a new two-tier cloud network that's open, virtualization aware, reliable and flexible," said Nick Lippis, editor and publisher of The Lippis Report. "The Force10 Open Cloud Networking framework, along with its new products and technology – the new ZettaScale™ switches and the new S7000™ cloud switch – address these concerns, offering architects design options and choices previously unavailable."
"Data center operators have multiple sets of needs that don't fall neatly into a one-size-fits-all package," said Arpit Joshipura , chief marketing officer at Force10 Networks. "The Open Cloud Networking vision provides a range of standards-based products that enable customers to customize their data center implementations for any need without compromising price or performance."
About Force10 Networks
Force10 Networks develops high-performance data center solutions powered by the industry's most innovative line of open, standards-based, networking hardware and software. The company's Open Cloud Networking framework grants Web 2.0/portal operators, cloud and hosting providers, enterprise and special-purpose data center customers new levels of flexibility, performance, scale and automation – fundamentally changing the economics of data center networking. Force10 Networks operates globally, providing 24x7 service and support to its customer base in more than 60 countries worldwide. For more information, visit www.force10networks.com.
Force10 Networks, the Force10 Networks logo, Force10, E-Series, Traverse, and TraverseEdge are registered trademarks and Open Cloud Networking, Z-Series, ZettaScale, ExaScale, S-Series, TeraScale, FTOS, Open Automation, JumpStart, SwitchLink, SmartScripts, ScriptStore, and HyperLink, are trademarks of Force10 Networks, Inc. All other company names are trademarks of their respective holders.
SOURCE Force10 Networks, Inc.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.