DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid combined November sales beat Toyota Prius plug-in and Prius v in C-MAX's first full month of availability
- C-MAX hybrids showcase Ford's most advanced technologies, making both vehicles natural selections for Official Car of the 2013 International CES, the largest technology trade show in the world
- Ford is committed to delivering leading fuel economy across our vehicle lineup to customers; C-MAX Hybrid is EPA-estimated to deliver 47 mpg city and highway; C-MAX Energi is EPA-estimated to deliver 108 MPGe city, 92 MPGe highway and 100 MPGe combined
Customers are reacting positively to the new Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid and C-MAX Hybrid, which combined to outsell Toyota Prius plug-in and Prius v during November, the first full month both C-MAX hybrids were available.
A total of 4,848 C-MAX hybrids were sold in November compared with a total of 4,456 Toyota Prius plug-in and Prius v hybrids. The C-MAX sales figures helped Ford achieve its best hybrid sales month ever in November with 6,985 delivered.
"The C-MAX hybrids are off to a great start and our dealers and customers, especially in California, cannot get enough of them early in the launch," said Dave Mondragon, Ford Motor Company general marketing manager.
Ford dealers in California say customer reaction to the C-MAX hybrids has been phenomenal.
"Because Ford has so perfectly hit the nail on the head with C-MAX hybrids, we have a tremendous number of former import buyers in the dealership every weekend who say they are ready to purchase a domestic vehicle," said Tim Paulus, owner and president of The Ford Store Morgan Hill, located just south of San Jose in Northern California.
The Ford Store Morgan Hill bought a 2013 Prius v and gives customers the chance to drive and compare it with a C-MAX. Paulus says not a single customer prefers the Prius v over the C-MAX hybrids.
"We really weren't sure if customers in Northern California would give C-MAX hybrids a shot because the region has traditionally been import-heavy," says Paulus. "But they truly love the vehicle, so it's very exciting."
Dealers in Southern California report a good response, too.
"The amount of interest in C-MAX has been outstanding," says Dan Theroux, general manager of Los Angeles-based Airport Marina Ford. "We are getting more and more questions about C-MAX every day – including from quite a few Prius owners."
The strong momentum now carries into 2013, as C-MAX Energi and C-MAX Hybrid will kick off the year as Official Cars of the 2013 International CES, the world's largest annual innovation event, scheduled Jan. 8-11 in Las Vegas.
The 2013 CES is made for the all-new line of C-MAX – fitting in among the newest TVs, tablets, cameras, sound systems and just about all things.
Both versions of C-MAX – which make up Ford's first line dedicated to hybrids in North America – will be featured prominently throughout CES.
"C-MAX is made for CES, especially when you consider the amount of advanced hybrid technology it delivers," said Mondragon. "From SmartGauge and MyKey to the hybrid transmission and strong fuel economy, C-MAX belongs in the same conversation as the other technologies at CES."
C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid and C-MAX Hybrid showcase Ford's latest and greatest technologies, including:
- SmartGauge® with EcoGuide – SmartGauge is a unique instrument cluster that gives hybrid owners a more connected driving experience by coaching them to further maximize the fuel efficiency of the vehicle
- EV+ – Learns frequent destinations using the vehicle's onboard GPS system with the purpose of keeping it in electric-only mode for a longer period of time. Information about EV+ can be found here
- EV mode – Allows drivers to switch vehicle operation between three modes: driving all-electric only, normal hybrid mode or saving battery pack mode for later use
- Charge port light ring (C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid) – Conveniently located on the driver's side and near the front of the car, activates a light ring that illuminates the port twice when plugged in. The light ring then illuminates in quadrants as the car charges. Each quadrant represents 25 percent of the maximum battery charge
- Hands-free liftgate – The available hands-free liftgate allows for quick and easy access to the cargo area without fumbling for keys. A simple kicking motion under the rear bumper opens the liftgate when the user keeps the key fob to the vehicle in his or her pocket or purse, telling the vehicle it's OK to engage
- MyFord® Mobile (C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid) – Allows owners to control select features of their vehicle from nearly anywhere, anytime, using the MyFord Mobile website or app. More details about MyFord Mobile can be found here
Max performance and choice
C-MAX Energi is estimated by the EPA to deliver up to 108 MPGe city, 92 MPGe highway and 100 MPGe combined. C-MAX Energi also delivers up to 620 miles of range on a single tank of gas and a fully charged battery – 80 miles more than what is delivered by Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid – and can drive up to 21 miles in electric-only mode. By comparison, Toyota Prius plug-in can only go six miles in electric-only mode.
C-MAX Hybrid delivers EPA-estimated 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway – 7 mpg better than Toyota Prius v – for a 47 mpg combined rating.
More information about the C-MAX line of vehicles can be found here. In addition to C-MAX Energi and C-MAX Hybrid, Ford's other electrified vehicles include Focus Electric, Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi.
Details about the 2013 CES can be found at CESweb.org.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company