LOUISVILLE, Ky., Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- The 500,000th 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 turbo diesel engine was installed yesterday into a new 2014 Ford Super Duty F-350 Lariat at Kentucky Truck Plant
- Introduced in 2011, the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 turbocharged diesel delivers 400 horsepower and 800 lb.-ft. of torque with best-in-class fuel economy
- Ford is the only heavy-duty pickup truck manufacturer that designs and builds its own diesel engine and transmission combination, ensuring optimal engineering from design to driveway
Ford, America's truck leader, announced the installation of its 500,000th 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 turbocharged diesel engine, which went into a new 2014 Ford Super Duty F-350 Lariat pickup truck. The engine was installed yesterday at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
"This is a significant milestone for an engine that was introduced just a few years ago," said Doug Scott, Ford Truck group marketing manager. "Demand for the engine has outpaced our expectations; our customers love the combination of performance, towing capability, and fuel economy."
The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 diesel engine delivers 400 horsepower at 2,800 rpm and 800 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm, along with class-leading fuel economy while adding more fueling flexibility and easily meeting stringent emissions requirements. The 6.7-liter diesel shares Super Duty's legendary reliability and durability while enabling up to 24,700 pounds towing capability for F-450 pickup and up to 26,600 pounds for F-550 chassis cab.
Ford is the only heavy-duty pickup truck manufacturer that designs and builds its own diesel engine and transmission combination, ensuring the powertrain will work seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations, from concept to driveway. This approach enables Ford engineers to optimize the vehicle's performance across the entire lineup.
Benefits of the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 turbocharged diesel engine include:
- Compacted graphite iron engine. Stronger than cast iron, the block structure is optimized for reduced weight and maximum strength to meet the demands of higher horsepower and torque
- Advanced inboard exhaust and outboard intake architecture – an automotive-industry first for a modern production pickup truck diesel engine – reduces overall exhaust system volume, which leads to better throttle and turbo response for the customer; additionally, reduced exhaust system surface area minimizes heat transfer to the engine compartment and improves noise, vibration and harshness performance
- Engine architecture enables easier service work for all major engine components, potentially reducing downtime
- Turbocharger is uniquely center-mounted on a pedestal low in the back of the valley for improved NVH control
- High-pressure fuel system injects fuel at more than 29,000 psi. The system delivers up to five injection events per cylinder per cycle, using eight-hole piezo injectors to spray fuel into the piston bowl. The direct-injection system is calibrated and phased for optimum power, fuel efficiency and NVH performance
- Aluminum cylinder heads for reduced weight; the mid-deck construction with dual water jackets provides increased strength and optimal cooling; six-head bolts, instead of four as found on other engines, help improve sealing and maintain cylinder integrity
- Compatible up to B20 biodiesel, allowing greener fueling options of up to 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent petroleum diesel
"Our Super Duty customers are no-nonsense, no-compromise individuals," said Joe Bakaj, vice president of powertrain engineering. "Those are the attributes our team took to heart when engineering this diesel engine so we can deliver Built Ford Tough capability, reliability and enhanced productivity."
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 177,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company