Fourteen Minnesota High Schools Named Winners In Toyota's Annual 'Drive For Education' Contest Schools Will Be Honored At 2013 Minnesota Boys' State Hockey Tournament
ST. PAUL, Minn., Feb. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fourteen high schools in Minnesota have been named winners of Toyota's annual "Drive For Education" contest. All 14 schools will receive $2,500 each at the upcoming Minnesota State Hockey Tournament in St. Paul, with the top two schools eventually being awarded an upgraded grant of $7,500.
All winners will be acknowledged during KSTC-TV/Channel 45's coverage of the Boys' Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament, March 6-9, in St. Paul. KSTC will also host an online voting portal where people can vote for their favorite schools, in order to determine the $7,500 winners.
Per the rules of the contest, students had to write a short essay specifically detailing how their school could use the $2,500 and $7,500 prizes to enhance education or related amenities, with specific monetary earmarks. The winning schools and their hometowns include:
- Melrose High School (Melrose)
- Houston High School (Houston)
- New Century Academy (Hutchinson)
- St. Mary's Catholic School (Sleepy Eye)
- Holy Family Academy (Belle Plaine)
- Greenway High School (Coleraine)
- TRIO Wolf District Distance Learning Charter School (Lindstom)
- Saint Peter Junior and Senior High School (St. Peter)
- Minneapolis Edison High School (Minneapolis)
- Mounds View High School (St. Paul)
- Burnsville High School (Burnsville)
- Bethlehem Academy (Faribault)
- St. Michael – Albertville High School (St. Michael)
- Andover High School (Andover)
"We had many excellent submissions for this year's contest so these 14 schools are very deserving of this honor," said Kevin Fletcher, General Manager of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.'s Chicago Region. "It's encouraging to see so many civic-minded young people willing to help their schools improve its facilities and programs."
For the past 24 years, Toyota and its dealers have donated more than $750,000 to further education in the state of Minnesota through programs like the "Drive For Education" contest.
Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. is the marketing, sales, distribution and customer service arm of Toyota, Lexus and Scion. Established in 1957, TMS markets products and services through a network of nearly 1,500 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealers which sold more than two million vehicles in 2012. Toyota directly employs nearly 30,000 people in the U.S. and its investment here is currently valued at more than $18 billion. For more information about Toyota, visit www.toyota.com, www.lexus.com, www.scion.com or www.toyotanewsroom.com
SOURCE Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.