All the activity in customers' homes means their air conditioning unit will be working overtime – working up to twice as long in the summer than in cooler months. While FPL's typical 1,000-kWh customer bills are lower than they were a decade ago and among the lowest in the nation, technology is making it easier for customers to make their bills even lower – even as they step outside to fire up the grill.
Using technology to save energy and money this summer
Before firing up the grill this July 4th holiday, customers should keep these tech-savvy tips in mind to help save energy and money.
- Use a smart thermostat: When you're outside with family and friends, control the temperature inside your home from a smart device using a smart thermostat. Total control in the palm of your hand even if you've left home to catch the fireworks!
- Use smart plugs: Flipping burgers on the grill and notice someone left a lamp on? No problem! With a smart plug, you can turn the lamp off with a smart device without skipping a beat on the grill.
- Switch outdoor lights to LEDs: LED lights use 90 percent less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and can last up to ten times longer.
- Install a new, variable speed pool pump: It'll cost you money up front, but variable speed pool pumps can generate big savings and can pay for themselves in as little as eight months. Reducing your existing pool pump's daily run time by at least two hours can save up to $100 annually.
- Track your energy use: FPL's Online Energy Dashboard allows you to track how much energy you're using by the month, day or even down to the hour. Log into your FPL.com account to get started.
- Click and save up to $250: FPL's Online Home Energy Survey can help you create a smart energy savings plan to help make your home more energy efficient.
"Taking advantage of these tech-savvy energy tips can add up and leave extra money in our customers' pockets—money they can spend on their summer vacations and family celebrations. That said, customers should think about energy efficiency throughout the year, not just during the summer. That's why we encourage our customers to manage and track how much energy they use with our Online Energy Dashboard and to take our Online Home Energy Survey to create a personalized savings plan and save up to $250," Spence said.
Visit FPL.com/easytosave to take FPL's Online Home Energy Survey and use the Energy Dashboard to learn how to save up to $250 a year.
No technology, no problem
While technology plays an important role in helping our customers save money by managing their energy costs, here are some simple tips to keep in mind throughout the summer.
- Go outside: Use an outdoor grill instead of the oven to keep the kitchen cool.
- Use smaller appliances: If cooking inside, do it with a toaster oven, microwave or crock pot. These smaller appliances use less energy than the oven and add less heat to the kitchen.
- Consider cold snacks: When it's hot outside, a cold alternative such as sandwiches, vegetables or fruit make for delicious snacks without having to use the oven.
- Grab in bulk: Reduce the amount of cold air escaping from the fridge by opening the door once to get all necessary items.
- Fill it up: Run the dishwasher with a full load and use the air dry option, if available.
- Switch it out: Make sure your A/C unit is running efficiently by cleaning or changing your filter once a month.
- Turn it off: When leaving to watch a parade or fireworks, remember to turn off lights and fans. Fans only keep people cool, not rooms, so without people, it's running for no reason.
- Turn it up: Turn the thermostat up to 82 degrees or more if traveling for the long weekend. And remember, close window blinds and shades to block out the sun's heat.
About Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company is the third-largest electric utility in the United States, serving more than 4.8 million customer accounts or more than 10 million people across nearly half of the state of Florida. FPL's typical 1,000-kWh residential customer bill is approximately 30 percent lower than the latest national average and, in 2015, was the lowest in Florida among reporting utilities for the sixth year in a row. FPL's service reliability is better than 99.98 percent, and its highly fuel-efficient power plant fleet is one of the cleanest among all utilities nationwide. The company was recognized in 2015 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities by Market Strategies International. A leading Florida employer with approximately 8,800 employees, FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a clean energy company widely recognized for its efforts in sustainability, ethics and diversity, and has been ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune's 2016 list of "World's Most Admired Companies." NextEra Energy is also the parent company of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. For more information, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120301/FL62738LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fpl-celebrates-independence-day-by-helping-customers-take-control-of-their-energy-use-with-tech-savvy-tips-300293073.html
SOURCE Florida Power & Light Company