Fremont Insurance Offers Homeowners Wood-Burning Unit Maintenance Advice
FREMONT, Mich., Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Fremont Insurance is committed to providing its customers service that is second to none. As part of that commitment to customer service, the Company regularly offers a variety of tips to help homeowners avoid costly damages to their properties. As summer comes to a close and the weather turns noticeably cooler, many homeowners across the state will rely on their wood-burning units to heat their homes. Fremont Insurance offers a few simple reminders about the yearly maintenance issues associated with operating a wood-burning unit in your home:
- Frequently check the unit and chimney flues
- Inspect the chimney from the roof, using a flashlight to look for obstructions or damage
- Check the stovepipes for creosote build-up
- If a creosote build-up is identified, have the chimney and stove professionally cleaned
- Burn only seasoned wood, preferably at least 2 years old
- Keep combustible materials away from the unit to avoid the danger of ignition
- Alert children to the hazard of high surface temperatures, and keep them away from the stove to prevent burns or clothing ignition
- Maintain a multi-purpose fire extinguisher near the stove
- Regularly maintain extinguishers and smoke detectors
"Wood-burning units have become more popular over the past several years as a lower cost alternative for heating a home," said Kurt Dettmer, vice president and chief marketing officer for Fremont Insurance. "While wood-burning units offer a host of benefits, homeowners should also be aware of the dangers associated with these devices and take the necessary precautions to avoid injuries and property damage."
About Fremont Insurance
Fremont Insurance is a subsidiary of the Auto Club Group, servicing the Independent Agents of Michigan. The company has been a Pure Michigan company since 1876. Dynamic Products, Exceptional Service, and Competitive Pricing have made Fremont Insurance one of the fastest growing and most respected companies operating in Michigan. For more information about Fremont Insurance you can visit the company online at www.fmic.com, find them on facebook at www.facebook.com/FremontInsuranceCo, or follow them on twitter at www.twitter.com/FremontIns.
SOURCE Fremont Insurance