Fremont Insurance Offers Tips for Homeowners Who Want To Take Their Spring Cleaning Outdoors
FREMONT, Mich., April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Spring Cleaning is an annual tradition in many homes that helps clear out the clutter and dust that can accumulate after several months spent indoors. Fremont Insurance, a Michigan-based property and casualty insurance carrier, wants to remind homeowners that their spring cleaning checklist should include several outdoor tasks as well.
"Many homeowners view Spring Cleaning as a way to reinvigorate their living space and prepare their home for the summer months ahead," said Kurt Dettmer, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Fremont Insurance. "Unfortunately, often times the to-do list is only focused on tasks throughout the interior of the home. There are a number of steps that homeowners should also take to prepare the exterior of their home as well."
Fremont Insurance offers these suggestions for completing a quick and easy DIY Spring Home Inspection.
- Start with a quick visual inspection of the home and yard and surrounding area checking for any obvious signs of distress or areas of concern.
- Inspect the roof next. Carefully remove debris and look for missing or damaged shingles or flashing. While you're up there, check the gutters for obstructions that could result in water backups.
- Check the trees in your yard, particularly those near your home or electrical wires. Looks for signs of disease or damage that may weaken the tree and make it susceptible to strong winds. Trim dead or damaged branches.
- Inspect fences, railings, stone walls and any other free standing items that may have been loosened during the winter months. Look for leaning or loose parts and check to make sure these items are still firmly anchored.
- Examine porches and decks to ensure stability, paying particular attention to handrails and stairs.
- Remove debris from the yard including refuse, loose branches and gravel or dirt that may have accumulated as a result of snow removal efforts. Look for holes or sunken areas that could be a tripping hazard.
- Inspect house siding and shutters, looking for loose, damaged or soiled areas in need of repair or cleaning.
- Be sure to examine all your windows and screens and make any necessary repairs.
- Check the driveway and any walkways for cracks or shifting that could create a tripping hazard and make any necessary repairs to avoid additional damage resulting from exposure to the elements.
- Examine the foundation for cracks or bulges that could lead to leakage issues if left unattended.
About Fremont Insurance
Fremont Insurance is an affiliate of the Auto Club Group, servicing the Independent Agents of Michigan. The company has been a Pure Michigan company since 1876. Dynamic Products, Exceptional Service, and Competitive Pricing have made Fremont Insurance one of the fastest growing and most respected companies operating in Michigan. For more information about Fremont Insurance you can visit the company online at www.fmic.com, find them on facebook at www.facebook.com/FremontInsuranceCo, or follow them on twitter at www.twitter.com/FremontIns.
SOURCE Fremont Insurance