FREMONT, Mich., Sept. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Fremont Insurance is committed to helping homeowners protect their homes. As part of that commitment, the Company regularly shares tips and recommendations with its customers to help them avoid a wide range of potentially devastating losses. The Company's Seasonal Dwellings Closing Checklist provides policy holders even more protection by helping homeowners properly prepare their seasonal dwelling for the winter months, and also offering to waive the policyholder's deductible should any losses occur if the homeowner has followed the company's recommendations.
"Fremont Insurance works closely with our agents and their customers to help them understand and reduce the risk of losses whenever possible," said Kurt Dettmer, vice president and chief marketing officer for Fremont Insurance. "We understand it takes time and a financial commitment to execute all of the recommendations, so we like to be able to reward customers who take steps to be conscientious homeowners."
The Fremont Insurance Winterization Checklist includes the following recommendations:
- Turn off the water at its supply point – at the street level where possible or at entry to dwelling or turn off electricity to well if applicable
- Maintain heat when not fully winterizing – at least 58 degrees to prevent furnace flue buildup – and turn off heat if fully winterized
- Remove perishable foods
- Drain water lines and traps – especially water supply lines. After draining, leave the valves open so the remaining water can evaporate
- Add antifreeze to hot water heating systems, toilets, washing machines and sink traps
- Designate a neighbor, friend or relative to visit and tour the dwelling at least weekly
- Ensure gas tanks are scheduled for automatic fill and are accessible during periods of snowfall
- Clear roof of snow periodically after storms to reduce the possibility of ice backup or collapse
- Visit the dwelling personally during or after periods of extreme cold or suspected power outage
- Install motion sensors to your exterior lights
- Hire a professional contractor to winterize for you
"At Fremont Insurance, we stand ready to assist you if a property loss should occur, but there are some things that simply can't be replaced, including family heirlooms and photographs," added Dettmer. "By following these simple recommendations a homeowner can significantly reduce their risk of suffering a major loss and now also gain some additional protection by earning the opportunity to have their deductible waived by Fremont Insurance."
About Fremont Insurance
Fremont Insurance is a subsidiary of the Auto Club Group, servicing the Independent Agents of Michigan. The company has been a Pure Michigan company since 1876. Dynamic Products, Exceptional Service, and Competitive Pricing have made Fremont Insurance one of the fastest growing and most respected companies operating in Michigan. For more information about Fremont Insurance you can visit the company online at www.fmic.com, find them on facebook at www.facebook.com/FremontInsuranceCo, or follow them on twitter at www.twitter.com/FremontIns.
SOURCE Fremont Insurance