From Celebrations to Snacks, Spring Meals Feature Ham
The Ham Hotline Makes it Easy to Serve Up this Seasonal Favorite
LOUISVILLE, Ky., March 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Serving up a delicious ham is easier than ever this spring with expert advice from the ham hotline along with new ham recipes for every occasion, from family celebrations to everyday meals and snacks.
Every bite will turn out delicious, too, with help from the experts at the Kentucky Legend Ham Hotline at 1-866-343-5058, open weekdays now through April 15, from 9 a.m. – 7 pm Eastern Time.
Now in its third year, the ham pros have helped thousands of at-home chefs serve up ham as an economical, family-favorite meal. They've coached newlyweds creating their first holiday dinner, helped Moms choose economical recipes and provided tips on ham basics such as choosing the right size ham to glazing, heating and carving. Here are answers to the most often-asked questions about ham preparation:
- When choosing a ham, plan on 1/4 to 1/3 pound of boneless ham per serving; 1/3 to 1/2 pound for bone-in hams.
- Most hams are pre-cooked (read the label) and should be gently reheated at 325 degrees F to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- To assure a moist and flavorful ham, place a pan of water in the oven under the ham.
"Serving a ham can make anyone look like an accomplished cook," says Janet Sweeney, marketing director for Kentucky Legend Ham. "Best of all, ham not only makes a great dinner, there are countless ways to use the leftovers to create delicious casseroles, salads and even appetizers."
Visit www.specialtyfoodsgroup.com for dozens of ham recipes and ideas for tasty sides to serve with the meal, such as candied carrots, garlic spinach and even mango salsa.
Kentucky Legend Hams have been made for more than 100 years in Owensboro, Kentucky, where each ham is hand-selected, trimmed and cured the traditional way from a recipe handed down through generations. Kentucky Legend Hams are produced by Specialty Foods Group, Inc. (SFG), a leading U.S. producer and marketer of a wide variety of premium branded and private-label processed meat products.
Here is a quick and delicious casserole the whole family will enjoy:
Macaroni Ham Casserole (4 servings)
- 1 cup diced Kentucky Legend ham
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 7 to 8 ounces of uncooked macaroni
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, sauté bell pepper and onion in the tablespoon of butter for 5 minutes.
- Add ham and continue cooking until thoroughly heated.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Combine all ingredients except cheese, and pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted.
SOURCE Kentucky Legend Hams
More by this Source
Boneless Ham is the Go-To Choice for Holiday Entertaining
Nov 20, 2013, 05:20 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.