NEW YORK, April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- What do you get when you mix 50 years of success with over 280 best-loved recipes updated to reflect the world we live and eat in today? The new WEIGHT WATCHERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK: Over 280 Delicious Recipes for Every Meal (WEIGHT WATCHERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK: Over 280 Delicious Recipes for Every Meal (Griffin; Hardcover; $29.99; April 30, 2013; ISBN 1-250-03640-2). In honor of its historic 50th anniversary milestone, Weight Watchers, the world's leading provider of weight management services serves up a new go-to resource for home cooks, delivering modern makeovers to treasured favorites with fresh ingredients, "Good Idea" how-to tips, Weight Watchers lore, and, most importantly, nutritional info and PointsPlus values for readers following the new Weight Watchers 360˚ program. "With 50 successful years of helping millions of people achieve and maintain their weight loss goals, we at Weight Watchers understand the critical role food plays in weight loss success and overall health," said Nancy Gagliardi, Vice President, Editorial Director of Weight Watchers Publishing Group, Weight Watchers International. "From our first cookbook in the mid-60's to our 50th Anniversary Cookbook in 2013, we strive to provide a well-rounded celebration of food for home cooks who love to eat well – and eat smart."
This new cookbook highlights how the Weight Watchers program has innovated over the past five decades. Many of these retro recipes are reinvented to incorporate foods once labeled "illegal" in the early days on the Weight Watchers program, such as peanuts, sausage, corn, bananas, and alcohol. By 1972, the program had evolved, opening the door to all foods in moderation, a philosophy that continues today, so members can enjoy everything from the savory Sausage Focaccia to mouth-watering Bananas Foster.
Satisfying your cravings for American classics, Korean, Greek, Mexican or Italian, WEIGHT WATCHERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK has recipes for breakfast through dessert. Highlights include:
- BREAKFAST ALL DAY: OMELETTES, FRITTATAS, SMOOTHIES
- Comforting and Classic: Huevos Rancheros in Tortilla Cups, Red Potato and Fontina Frittata, Mushroom-Swiss Omelettes, Quiches, Crepes, Blintzes, French Toast
- MIDDAY MEALS: SOUPS, SALADS, SANDWICHES, AND BREADS
- Hearty Soups Reign Supreme: French Onion, Fish Chowder, and Garden Vegetable Soup reinvented from the early days of Weight Watchers
- New takes on classic Salads like Caesar, Greek, and Cobb
- Satisfying Sandwiches: Portobello Burgers, Turkey Sloppy Joes, and Mexican Chicken Wraps
- CLASSIC STARTERS: TASTY LIGHT BITES AND DIPS
- Decidedly healthier versions of everyone's favorites: Deviled Eggs, Nachos Grande, Buffalo Wings
- Reimagined classics like Buttermilk Milkshakes and new snack staples like Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- FAMILY ENTREES: HEARTY MEATS, POULTRY, AND SEAFOOD
- A Menu of Meats: Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce, The New Pork and Beans, and Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto
- Comforting Classics: Chilis, Fajitas, Stews, and the iconic Weight Watchers Burger
- Seafood options like Moroccan Swordfish with Couscous to Oven-Fried Fish and Chips
- MEATLESS MAINSTAYS: SATISFYING VEGETARIAN ENTREES
- Tofu-Lentil Burgers, Curried Vegetable Stew, Chickpea Croquettes with Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Pastas from Primavera to Pad Thai; plus risotto, polenta and memorable mushroom recipes
- ITALIAN FAVORITES: BLUE-RIBBON PIZZA AND PASTA DISHES
- DIY Pizza: Make the dough then whip up pizzas from Margherita to White, Greek to Tex-Mex
- Remixed Pasta Favorites: Baked Ziti with Meatballs, Cheese Ravioli with Butternut Squash Sauce, and Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- SIDE STORIES: CELEBRATED VEGGIES AND SIDES
- ABCs of Veggies: Asparagus en Papillote, Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and Lemon, and Steamed Cauliflower with Raisins and Pine Nuts
- Plentiful Potatoes: Idaho Fries with Vinegar, Greek-Style Twice Baked, and Sweet Potato Fritters
- BEST-IN-SHOW: DELICIOUS DESSERTS AND SWEET TREATS
- Sweet and Tart Delights: No-Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Raspberry-Peach Cobbler, and Bananas
- Classics: Tiramisu, Baked Alaska, Red Velvet Cake, and Crepes Suzette
Whether in search of a quick-fix family dinner, a week's worth of menus, or dinner party fare, WEIGHT WATCHERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK helps you make smart food choices a snap (and tasty to boot!). In addition to its myriad recipes and 50 color photographs, the cookbook also features helpful kitchen advice for all home cooks: the must-have tools for healthy cooking, tips for cooking foods to safe temperatures and choosing lean cuts of meat, dry and liquid measurement equivalents, modern pantry staples and useful ingredient substitutions plus an index conveniently sorted by PointsPlus values.
About Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Weight Watchers International, Inc. is the world's leading provider of weight management services, operating globally through a network of Company-owned and franchise operations. Weight Watchers holds over 40,000 meetings each week where members receive group support and learn about healthy eating patterns, behavior modification and physical activity. WeightWatchers.com provides innovative, subscription weight management products over the Internet and is the leading Internet-based weight management provider in the world. In addition, Weight Watchers offers a wide range of products, publications and programs for those interested in weight loss and weight control.
WEIGHT WATCHERS 50th ANNIVERSARY COOKBOOK: Over 280 Delicious Recipes for Every Meal
GriffinPre-Sale: March 1, 2013 http://us.macmillan.com/weightwatchers50thanniversarycookbook/WeightWatchers
On Sale: April 30, 2013; available wherever books are sold
ISBN 1-250-03640-2 / Price: $29.99
E-book ISBN 1-250-03641-0/ Price $14.99
SOURCE Weight Watchers