Frost & Sullivan Recognizes DebMed with New Product Innovation Award in Hand Hygiene Solutions
The DebMed GMS® Electronic Hand Hygiene Monitoring System Provides the Most Comprehensive Solution to Help Improve Compliance and Reduce Hospital Infections
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Based on its recent analysis of the hand hygiene solutions market, Frost & Sullivan awarded DebMed®, creator of the world's first electronic hand hygiene compliance monitoring system based on the World Health Organization (WHO) Five Moments for Hand Hygiene guidelines, the 2013 North American New Product Innovation Award. According to Frost & Sullivan, in this era of healthcare reform and cost restraint, electronic solutions like the DebMed GMS® are allowing for more automated oversight of hand hygiene to ensure proper adherence by healthcare facilities to help reduce healthcare-associated infections (HAIs), improve patient safety and decrease costs. This is the second time Frost & Sullivan has awarded DebMed with this distinction, also winning the 2011 Global Hand Hygiene Technology Innovation Award for its electronic hand hygiene monitoring system.
Healthcare-associated infections have become a major concern as hospitals seek to meet patient demands and battle escalating costs, all while hospital stays from infections have tripled in the last decade. While emphasis on hand hygiene awareness and protocols is growing, compliance and effectiveness traditionally have been difficult to monitor. DebMed has led the hand hygiene monitoring category to a higher clinical standard by being the only system to electronically monitor the WHO Five Moments for Hand Hygiene. When healthcare workers clean their hands only before and after patient care, a common practice in most hospitals, it only accounts for less than half of all hand hygiene opportunities, potentially putting patients at risk for infections.
"The DebMed electronic hand hygiene monitoring system is giving health care providers what they need: real-time, accurate data and supporting training tools to ensure proper adherence to best practices," said Heather McLarney, VP of marketing for DebMed. "We are proud to be recognized by Frost & Sullivan for the second time, for our latest offering that's helping facilities meet their infection control goals, create a culture of safety, and subsequently helping to save lives and costs."
Frost & Sullivan assessed the following criteria while comparing hand hygiene solutions: innovativeness; use of leading-edge technologies; value-added features and benefits; increased customer ROI; and customer acquisition/penetration potential.
The DebMed GMS system outshined other products in the market with the following key differentiators:
- Point-of-care Monitoring. It is the only electronic hand hygiene monitoring system that tracks hand hygiene compliance at the point-of-care by providing specialized away-from-wall monitored dispensers allowing access to hand sanitizer within arm's reach at the critical patient point-of-care.
- Methodology. The DebMed GMS system uses an exclusive technology that calculates how many times healthcare workers should have cleaned their hands based on published scientific research that, for the first time, benchmarked the number of hand hygiene opportunities based on hospital type (teaching vs. non-teaching), hospital size, and unit type (medical-surgical, critical care and emergency department units). The formula is then customized to each hospital unit by accounting for the ever-changing patient census as well as other proprietary, hospital-specific factors that feed into the calculation algorithm. This algorithm has been validated through research, confirming the accuracy of the system.
- Group Monitoring. The DebMed GMS system was developed based on insights from industry thought leaders that shows monitoring compliance at the group (unit) level is better perceived by staff than utilizing badges to track individuals, which can viewed as punitive. This philosophy of creating a positive culture of safety through team collaboration both drives individual accountability as well as results in better and sustained behavior change.
In addition, Frost & Sullivan noted that the DebMed GMS electronic monitoring system provides hospitals with a strong return on investment, due to the low cost of the system as well as proven outcomes clients using the system have experienced such as dramatically increased hand hygiene compliance rates and a reduction in infection rates.
DebMed is the healthcare program of the Deb Group. The DebMed program offers innovative hand hygiene products, electronic monitoring technology, and improvement tools to support hand hygiene compliance. The DebMed® GMS™ (Group Monitoring System) is the world's first group monitoring system to report hand hygiene compliance rates in real-time based on the World Health Organization's (WHO) "Five Moments for Hand Hygiene" and to date has recorded more than 27 million hand hygiene events. The electronic monitoring system is being utilized in a four year, multi-site research project being conducted by the Columbia University School of Nursing and funded by a $1.2 million grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). It is the first study aimed at reducing healthcare-associated infections in pediatric long-term care facilities by improving staff compliance with hand hygiene guidelines. For more information on the study or DebMed, visit www.debmed.com.
About Deb Group
Possessing international scale and strong local market presence, Deb Group provides innovative skin care programs for all types of workplace and public environments, spanning industrial, commercial, healthcare and food sectors. Headquartered in the United Kingdom with US operations based in Charlotte, NC, Deb Group is comprised of 21 companies operating in 16 countries. For more information, visit www.debgroup.com.
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, works in collaboration with clients to leverage visionary innovation that addresses the global challenges and related growth opportunities that will make or break today's market participants.
Our "Growth Partnership" supports clients by addressing these opportunities and incorporating two key elements driving visionary innovation: The Integrated Value Proposition and The Partnership Infrastructure.
- The Integrated Value Proposition provides support to our clients throughout all phases of their journey to visionary innovation including: research, analysis, strategy, vision, innovation and implementation.
- The Partnership Infrastructure is entirely unique as it constructs the foundation upon which visionary innovation becomes possible. This includes our 360 degree research, comprehensive industry coverage, career best practices as well as our global footprint of more than 40 offices.
For more than 50 years, we have been developing growth strategies for the global 1000, emerging businesses, the public sector and the investment community. Is your organization prepared for the next profound wave of industry convergence, disruptive technologies, increasing competitive intensity, Mega Trends, breakthrough best practices, changing customer dynamics and emerging economies?
More by this Source
DebMed® Announces Major Enhancement to its Electronic Hand Hygiene Monitoring System
Dec 05, 2013, 09:58 ET
DebMed® Alerts Hospital Patients to the Danger of the Flu and How to Stay Healthy
Nov 19, 2013, 09:06 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.