NEW YORK, Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The rules and regulations of the JOBS Act have not yet been finalized, and the timeline of when they will be written and put into practice remains hazy. However, many financial companies – hedge funds, private equity funds, etc. – are unaware that there are things they can do today to market and spread the word about their funds, which will lay the groundwork for full marketing campaigns once the JOBS Act regulations come into effect.
Steve Saltzstein, Partner at LXE Marketing and Media (LXE) – a full service marketing and advertising agency that specializes in navigating the pre- and post- JOBS Act environment with the goal of increasing assets under management for hedge funds, private equity funds and venture capital funds, among others – is offering tips to help hedge funds and other financial companies stay ahead of the pack so they can be fully prepared when the rules are put into place.
In order to best prepare and navigate this time of JOBS Act uncertainty, Saltzstein recommends that companies:
- Perform a Brand Analysis – It is more important than ever to make sure your company messaging is on point to grab the attention of potential investors, which can be categorized into six groups: pensions, platforms, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, accredited investors (QPs) and consultants (while not actually investors they are quite possibly the most powerful group). By conducting a brand analysis, companies can evaluate and understand the strengths and weaknesses of their message, as well as their competition. Take a close look at what competitors are doing to see what they are bringing to the table and where your fund can excel.
- Utilize Video to Showcase Your Fund – Video is one of the most exciting marketing tools that funds can utilize in a pre-JOBS Act environment. Creating videos provides an opportunity for portfolio managers to clearly explain their edge and show their passion. They can effectively help differentiate a fund from its competition and bridge the gap between funds and allocators. These videos can be posted on all fund databases, sent with marketing materials and housed on password protected websites. Currently, funds are utilizing video on a monthly basis to serve as a supplement to their written communications and numbers. Furthermore, many funds are utilizing video to showcase their staff, as allocators want to know who their CFO, CCO, and analysts are. This platform is relatively inexpensive, and engaging in this medium can make a huge difference in separating one fund from another.
- Leverage Public Relations Efforts – As a fund manager, being positioned as a thought leader is another way to break away from the pack. The more your business engages with the media to make their presence known, the more investors will be drawn to your brand. Being seen as a thought leader will help to give investors confidence in your company, as they will be able to see that your executives are experts in your industry. Media placements will also help with SEO – when your executives are quoted in third party articles potential investors will be able to search for you more easily.
- Become Active on Social Media – Through social media, funds can express their opinions on topics and news stories in real time, which will give color to the brand and help shape company messaging. Becoming more active on social media networks will position your fund as in-the-know, and disseminating a constant stream of posts will keep your fund fresh in investors' minds.
- Start to Host and Attend Events – Funds can both attend and host events in a pre-JOBS Act environment to gain mindshare with investors. These events can be as simple as a dinner or as sophisticated as merging your fund with the likes of a major and enticing brand – such as the PGA Tournament, The Philharmonic or The Americas Cup.
In a post- JOBS Act environment, marketing will move quickly and there will be more opportunities to expand – particularly into advertising and further into experiential and digital platforms. In the meantime, these five steps will help funds form a solid foundation to guarantee that when the regulations are finalized, your brand will be ready.
About LXE Marketing
LXE Marketing and Media (www.lxemarketing.com) is the leading full service marketing and advertising agency that specializes in navigating the pre- and post- JOBS Act environment with the goal of increasing assets under management for hedge funds, private equity firms and venture capital funds, among others.
LXE serves as an independent, outsourced Chief Marketing Officer and trusted marketing consultant for financial companies. The LXE team, comprised of highly experienced marketing executives, former portfolio managers, and investment bankers, has more than 50 years of financial and marketing industry experience. Our expertise in marketing and our knowledge of the financial industry, in particular the implications of the JOBS Act, allows us to provide turnkey marketing solutions for financial institutions that can increase their assets under management. LXE provides clients with a full suite of marketing services including executive level thought leadership and strategy.
KCSA Strategic Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org / 212-896-1220
SOURCE LXE Marketing and Media