Fusion-io Delivers Intelligent Virtualization Performance Acceleration with Powerful ioTurbine Software Update Optimized Software Provides Customer Choice and Control to Accelerate Adoption of Flash in Virtual Environments by Doubling VM Density, Offloading SAN Workloads, and Increasing Application Performance Up to 40x
SALT LAKE CITY, June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fusion-io (NYSE: FIO) has introduced the industry's first unified virtualization software solution with a powerful upgrade of its ioTurbine software that provides breakthrough performance, control and choice to enhance the value of virtualization investments. Leading the industry with unique features that make virtualization viable for even data-intensive applications, Fusion ioTurbine delivers the option for hypervisor caching, virtualization-aware caching in the guest VM, dynamic reallocation of cache memory during live migration of virtual machines in VMware vMotion, and unified management of caching across virtual and physical environments.
"Just as Fusion-io revolutionized storage by integrating flash in the server to bring performance closer to enterprise applications, enabling virtualization-aware caching is a significant breakthrough in intelligent virtual performance acceleration," said Vikram Joshi, Fusion-io Chief Technologist and Vice President. "As adoption of virtualization is at different stages at different companies, ioTurbine provides customers with the option to cache in the guest VM or the hypervisor. Caching at the guest brings performance to the application where it is needed without costly and ineffective storage sprawl. Fusion ioTurbine makes it possible to further streamline the stack with optimized software to accelerate the adoption of flash in virtual environments, while giving customers flexibility and control over their infrastructure."
Fusion ioTurbine simplifies the deployment of virtualization performance through dynamic cache allocation during live migration of virtual machines, even across heterogeneous servers. With options for guest VM, hypervisor, and physical server caching, IT professionals can simplify their investment in virtualization, whether they are just starting to virtualize a traditional datacenter or are well on their way to a fully virtual infrastructure. Unified management of physical and virtual environments further simplifies performance provisioning, enabling IT professionals to spend more time on strategic business requirements.
Unique to ioTurbine, virtualization-aware guest level caching delivers application performance by identifying the application's most immediate data requirements. Guest VM caching optimizes the use of flash bandwidth by retaining and caching data critical to application performance.
"Fusion-io is extending the ioTurbine caching technology to include the option to cache on physical servers, in the hypervisor, and the guest virtual machine, while preserving the ability to support native vMotion," said David Floyer, Wikibon Chief Technology Officer. "This unified approach gives leading deployment flexibility and control to enterprise users requiring high performance cache in the migration to total server virtualization."
As a flexible platform, Fusion ioTurbine software allows enterprises to work with the server and storage systems of their choice, including Fusion ION Data Accelerator and the Fusion-io NexGen hybrid storage system. Fusion ioTurbine software supports multiple operating systems, including VMware ESXi, Windows, and Linux. The software also includes Fusion ioSphere monitoring software for local monitoring of multiple deployments of the software throughout a datacenter, as well as a plug-in for VMware vSphere to provide unified management across physical and virtual servers.
Fusion ioTurbine virtualization software provides:
- Breakthrough Application Performance: Terabytes of auto-tiered caching provide up to 40x faster database performance with maximum efficiency and minimal management, enabling IT professionals to easily control performance and spend more time on strategic business requirements;
- Options for Hypervisor or Virtualization-Aware Guest VM Caching: The option for intelligent caching in the guest VM uniquely brings performance closer to applications to streamline data requirements. The option to cache in the hypervisor enables enterprises and cloud service providers to deliver dynamic, high performance caching while meeting service level agreements;
- Unified Caching Across Disk, Volume, File and VMs: Unified choice in caching across virtual and physical servers, guest VMs, as well as in the hypervisor, simplifies the delivery of performance across environments in all stages of virtualization adoption;
- Transparent vMotion Support: Support for asymmetric server configurations further accelerates the software defined datacenter with completely transparent support for vMotion, high availability, VMware snapshots, and VMware vSphere dynamic resource scheduler (DRS) without the need for manual vMotion scripting or pre-allocating identical caches across servers;
- Dynamic Cache Allocation and Provisioning: Automatic rebalancing of cache capacity from live VMs accommodates newly deployed or migrated VMs, and dynamically provisions all available cache capacity to live VMs when VMs power off or migrate from the host, efficiently utilizing full cache capacity;
- Maximize Hardware Investments, Reduce Storage Sprawl: Double VM density and offload SAN workloads up to 96% in environments with a variety of read/write mixes to maximize virtualization productivity while extending the lifespan of storage investments and offering choice in IT platforms.
Fusion ioTurbine is available as stand-alone software or bundled with the Fusion ioCache data accelerator platform for virtualization. The ioCache platform features 750GB of Fusion ioMemory capacity for ultra low latency application acceleration. The ioTurbine software caches data to the ioCache platform for rapid processing of critical application data, while non-critical data moves across the network to slower, high capacity storage arrays.
Enterprises can evaluate the virtualization performance gains possible with ioTurbine using the free ioTurbine Profiler tool available by connecting with an expert via ioTurbineProfiler@fusionio.com. Fusion-io is also hosting a free educational webinar, "Achieving Intelligent Virtualization Performance," on Wednesday, June 26 at 2 pm ET / 11 am PT. Please visit http://run.fusionio.com/ioTurbineWebSeminar to register to attend.
Fusion ioTurbine is available from Fusion-io and its resellers for a manufacturer's list price of $3900 USD. The bundled ioTurbine and ioCache solution is available now for a suggested retail price of $7500 USD. For more information, visit http://www.fusionio.com/products/ioturbine/.
Fusion-io delivers the world's data faster. Our Fusion ioMemory platform and software defined storage solutions accelerate virtualization, databases, cloud computing, big data and performance applications. From e-commerce retailers to the world's social media leaders and Fortune Global 500 companies, our customers are improving the performance and efficiency of their data centers with Fusion-io technology to accelerate the critical applications of the information economy.
Note on Forward-looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including statements concerning the potential performance and other benefits of the Fusion ioMemory platform and software defined storage solutions, including the Fusion ioTurbine virtualization software solution, Fusion ION Data Accelerator and Fusion-io NexGen hybrid storage system. These statements are based on current expectations and assumptions regarding future events and business performance and involve certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained, anticipated, or implied in any forward-looking statement, including, but not limited to, the risk that users of Fusion-io's products may not realize the anticipated benefits, and such other risks set forth in the registration statements and reports that Fusion-io files with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available on the Investor Relations section of our website at www.fusionio.com. You should not rely upon forward-looking statements as predictions of future events. Although we believe that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot guarantee that the future results, levels of activity, performance or events and circumstances reflected in the forward-looking statements will be achieved or will occur. Fusion-io undertakes no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statement for any reason after the date of this press release.
Fusion-io, the Fusion-io logo, ioMemory, ION Data Accelerator, ioTurbine and NexGen are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Fusion-io, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Fusion-io, Inc.