Gale Brings Millions of Pages of Treasured Historical Content to Academic Libraries Grows Its Digital Collections Program with New Archives and the Next Installments of Smithsonian Collections Online and Nineteenth Century Collections Online
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich., June 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Gale, part of Cengage Learning, has added millions of pages of content to its Gale Digital Collections program with the launch of 10 resources, including new periodical collections and the next installments of Smithsonian Collections Online, Nineteenth Century Collections Online, and The Chatham House Online Archive. Researchers now have access to digitized versions of venerated materials such as recordings and transcripts of speeches from Winston Churchill and Henry Kissinger, and photos and exhibition catalogs of World's Fairs, among others. These collections will be available on the Gale Artemis: Primary Sources platform, giving researchers access to graphing and search visualization tools that will help them explore this historical content in new ways.
"The launch of these new resources solidifies Gale's position as the most active publisher of digital historical collections in the world and underscores our commitment to support learning, scholarship, and student achievement in the classroom," said Jim Draper, vice president and general manager, Gale.
The new collections are available now for academic and special libraries and include:
- Smithsonian Collections Online: Trade Literature & the Merchandizing of Industry – charts the history of manufacturing, printing, and marketing through digitized catalogs, pamphlets, and ephemera
- Smithsonian Collections Online: World's Fairs and Expositions: Visions of Tomorrow – follows technological innovation and cultural trends through photos, books, exhibit plans and catalogs
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Children's Literature and Childhood – provides children's literature as well as legal and sociological texts from Europe, Asia, and North America
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Mapping the World: Maps and Travel Literature – provides searchable maps, gazetteers and geographical images marking an important era in cartography
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Religion, Spirituality, Reform, and Society – reveals documentary materials on religious & philosophical movements wrought by the changes from the industrial revolution
- The Making of Modern Law: Foreign Primary Sources, Part II – contains a collection of historical legal codes and statutory materials, as well as commentaries on codes, from around the world
- British Newspapers: Part IV, 1780-1950 – details social and political events via digitized newspapers
- Punch Historical Archive, 1841-1992 – delivers a digitized full run of the iconic British humor magazine, Punch
- The Independent Digital Archive, 1986-2012 – contains a digitized run of this major British daily newspaper known for its centrist position & idiosyncratic views on the free market, social issues & culture
- The Chatham House Online Archive – includes a searchable archive of Chatham House publications, audio recordings, briefing reports, and analysis on global trends and key events and issues
For more information on these resources, visit www.gale.cengage.com or stop by the Gale booth (#1303) at the American Library Association annual conference in Las Vegas, June 27-30.
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology and services company, empowering educators and driving learner engagement through personalized services and course-driven digital solutions that bridge from the library to the classroom. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world's information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.cengage.com.
SOURCE Cengage Learning