CHICAGO, Sept. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- GCE Lab School has expanded into a new facility that redefines the high school's physical environment. Located at 1535 North Dayton, GCE has created a profoundly unique "home base" that's reflective of their project-based, student-centered curriculum, and a compliment to the school's City2Classroom™ learning model and partnerships.
A ribbon-cutting event on September 22 at 6:00pm will formally introduce the new space to key donors, supporters of the school, and community members. To attend this event and tour this truly unique high school space, RSVP here.
GCE's approach was to take an older building with large open spaces and unique architectural elements, and build a living ecosystem for student engagement and ownership. Students were involved in the design and building process, where they identified materials that otherwise would have been disregarded and "upcycled" them. They influenced the design and utility of each space based on their learning styles, social interests, and material needs. The result is a one-of-a-kind space that facilitates active learning and collaboration, including:
- Maker Lab Design with 3D/2D printing
- Workshop studios for 3D building, design, and visual arts
- Conservatory for eco-activities, social gatherings, presentations, and music
- Classrooms for workshops, conversation, mind-mapping, and test-taking
- Micro theatres for audio/visual productions
- Student-designed lounge
- Student-organized library that permeates the walls throughout the school
- Biomimicry inspired "greenhouse" features throughout
- Kitchen for cooking classes, "kitchen table" discussions, food prep, and eating
- Outdoor space: The City of Chicago
About GCE Lab School
GCE is an independent private high school where at least 50% of the students earn scholarship funding, resulting in a student body that's truly reflective of Chicago's rich diversity. GCE Lab School's inquiry and project-based curriculum extends beyond the special walls of GCE as students indulge in City2Classroom™ field experiences every week. The relationship between intimate community and infinite learning networks inspire students to expand and pursue their aspirations.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gce-opens-new-high-school-facility-in-lincoln-park-300325013.html
SOURCE GCE Lab School