SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Genos, a platform for consumer genomic discovery and research, today revealed the members of its strategic advisory board, which comprises experts in genetics, economics, and consumer technology. Currently in beta, Genos also recently announced it has raised a $6 million strategic investment from NantOmics, a wholly owned subsidiary of healthcare and technology company NantWorks, ahead of a forthcoming public launch.
"At Genos, we are tackling big questions around the consumer genomics movement, including consent and ownership of genetic data," said Mark Blumling, cofounder and CEO of Genos. "Our strategic advisors all bring unparalleled expertise in their areas of focus, which will be critical as we build a platform to accelerate personal genetic discovery and research tied to health, wellness and disease."
Genos' advisory board includes:
- George Church, Ph.D., one of the world's foremost experts in genetics. He is currently Robert Winthrop Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School, director of the Center for Computational Genetics, founder of PersonalGenomes.org, and founding core member of Wyss Institute. His research was seminal in enabling the first consumer genome sequence in 1994.
- Mina Radhakrishan, former head of product at Uber and current startup advisor. At Uber, where she was the 20th employee, she led the product's evolution in services, pricing models, and international expansion. She is currently an entrepreneur-in-residence at Redpoint Ventures, special advisor at Cowboy Ventures, and a mentor to companies in the 500 Startups portfolio.
- Alvin E. Roth, Ph.D., Stanford professor of economics, an expert in marketplace theory, and a 2012 Nobel Prize winner. His most prominent work focuses on how markets function in practice. He has developed systems for matching doctors with hospitals, school children with schools, and organ donors with patients.
- Dietrich Stephan, Ph.D., chair of the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh, founding chairman of the Neurogenomics Department at Translational Genomics Research Institute, and founder of Navigenics. He has developed precision medicine implementation strategies at several provider systems and is extending his focus areas from developing interventions to extending the healthy lifespan through prevention and regeneration technologies and strategies.
- Chris Tsakalakis, internet entrepreneur with 25 years of experience leading consumer and technology businesses. He is currently an entrepreneur-in-residence at Benchmark Capital and previously was president of the online ticket marketplace StubHub for eight years.
During its beta period, Genos has been sequencing individuals' whole exomes, which is the part of the genome containing about 80 percent of all known genetic variants associated with disease. By sequencing the exome rather than a small subset, individuals get 50 times more data than current popular offerings and a fuller picture of their genetic blueprints, enabling a lifetime of discovery without re-sequencing.
"Genos is not a sequencing company, but mapping the genetic blueprint is a critical first step in our broader goals of empowering individual discovery and breaking down the barriers to vital public health research," Blumling said. "The genomics movement holds tremendous promise for improving our personal and collective understanding, and we're thrilled to be part of this important endeavor."
About Genos Research
Genos is a platform for personal genetic discovery and research. The company's mission is to democratize access to deep and comprehensive personal discovery through DNA and break down the barriers to accelerated health and disease research. The Genos community empowers individuals to retain ownership of their genetic data and consent in the research process. Genos is backed by strategic investors with deep roots in health care and technology, and the company's advisors include luminaries in genetics, economics, and consumer technology. For more information, or to order a DNA sequencing kit, please visit www.genosresearch.com.
McKenzie Haggard, Method Communications
(801) 461-9773, firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/genos-reveals-strategic-advisory-board-comprised-of-industry-luminaries-in-genetics-economics-and-consumer-technology-300358875.html