Georgia Power offers 10 ways to save money and energy this winter
ATLANTA, Dec. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power offers the following tips to help customers save money and energy as winter approaches.
- Keep your thermostat at the lowest comfortable setting. Georgia Power recommends 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Every degree above 68 can add three percent to the heating bill.
- Keep heating vents and registers clear. Make sure they are not blocked by draperies or furniture. Vents should also be cleaned regularly with a vacuum or broom.
- Caulk, re-caulk or add weatherstripping around windows and doors. This helps keep the cold out and the heat in. If caulking or weather stripping is cracked, remove it and reseal with new materials.
- Let the sun shine in. On sunny days, open drapes or blinds to allow natural solar heat to warm the house.
- Change air filters. Dirty filters can increase heating system operating costs. Change filters every month or so to help the unit run properly.
- Wrap water pipes. This will reduce heat loss from hot water lines and help to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Dress warmly, even indoors. This will allow a lower thermostat setting without sacrificing comfort.
- Make sure fireplace dampers fit tightly, and keep them closed when not using the fireplace. Add a glass fireplace screen, if possible.
- Have your heating system professionally checked to make sure it's running properly. This can prolong the life of the system, as well as reduce operating costs.
- Remove window air conditioning units during winter months.
Visit georgiapower.com and check out our How-To videos for more easy tips on preparing the home for winter. The videos offer step by step instructions for making your home comfortable, while saving money and energy.
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company, one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. The company is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility with rates below the national average.
SOURCE Georgia Power
More by this Source
Georgia Power adds suite of accessibility tools to GeorgiaPower.com
May 20, 2013, 15:30 ET
Georgia Power adds new biomass capacity from Georgia's Piedmont Green Power
May 14, 2013, 13:47 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.