KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of the Congo, November 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
- 37 countries participated, including 29 African countries
- 180 people afflicted with albinism attended
- Gertler Family Foundation exhibited Patricia Willocq's book Blanc Ebene, which showcases photography of people afflicted with albinism in Africa, particularly in the Democratic Republic of Congo
The Gertler Family Foundation ("GFF") is pleased to announce it has participated in the first ever Pan-African Albinism conference in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. The conference, which was organised by Under the Same Sun ("UTSS"), an international NGO founded by Peter Ash, took place on November 19-22. It focused on empowering Persons with Albinism ("PWA") in Africa, by:
- Educating PWA through interactive sessions on understanding albinism
- Training PWA on educating the public about albinism and how to advocate for their rights and dignity in peaceful and effective ways
- Strengthening partnerships between PWA groups, UTSS and international bodies
The GFF was represented by Mamie Kabongolo, Communications Manager, and Dr. Gaylord Inena from Hopital du Cinquantenaire de Kisangani, who heads the hospital's albinism programmes. Alphonse Mwimba Texas, Congolese wrestler and Founder of the Mwimba Texas Foundation, was a sponsored guest of the conference, which was delivered in English, French and Kiswahili.
Notable partners include:
- The Tanzanian Ministry of Health
- Organisation Mondiale de la Francophonie
- The French Embassy in Dar El Salaam
- The Canadian High Commission in Dar Es Salaam
- The Kingdom of Netherlands
Mamie Kabongolo, Communications Manager at GFF, said: "I am honoured to have been granted the opportunity to take part in this conference. The GFF's support for albinism in the DRC and neighbouring countries follows on from a number of social initiatives the GFF has promoted which aim to help the most vulnerable segments of the Congolese population as well as bring greater awareness about social and medical services to Congolese albinos. We are proud to take part in initiatives that use advocacy and education to help people with albinism overcome discrimination by their communities."
Notes to the editors
Under the Same Sun
Under the Same Sun is an international charitable organisation which promotes, via advocacy and education, the wellbeing of PWA who in many parts of the world are marginalized, misunderstood, abused and at times mutilated and killed because of their genetic condition.
Gertler Family Foundation
Mr. Dan Gertler is a co-founder of the GFF. An initiative of the Gertler Family Trust, the GFF is committed to helping meet the needs of vulnerable Congolese. Since its inception in 2004, the GFF has invested millions of dollars in health, education, agriculture, emergency relief, infrastructure, culture and other projects across the DRC.
SOURCE Gertler Family Foundation