Get your flu shot: U-M offers convenient options for patients, public
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Sept. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The University of Michigan Health System's Michigan Visiting Nurses and health centers will once again offer flu vaccinations, the most reliable way to ward off the flu this season.
A series of convenient walk-in flu shot clinics is planned throughout southeastern Michigan and vaccinations are offered at competitive prices, says Tracy Newhouse , MVN community wellness manager.
U-M Health System patients can begin getting flu shots now by contacting their provider.
"It's important people receive the vaccination even if they're not sick or not afraid they're going to be hospitalized," says Newhouse. "They could pass the flu to more vulnerable people."
For individuals who already see a U-M physician, nurse midwife or other provider, vaccination can be done during existing or new appointments this fall or at special walk-in clinics for current patients.
Patients should call their U-M provider's office for an appointment, or visit www.med.umich.edu/flu for a schedule of flu shot clinics, says Linda McGrath , UMHS immunization coordinator. If patients receive their flu shot elsewhere, they should notify their U-M provider so their medical record can be updated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is again recommending that anyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated for the upcoming flu season. Children less than 9 years of age may require two doses this season depending on their immunization history. The CDC also recommends that because children younger than 6 months cannot be vaccinated, their caregivers and entire family should receive the shot.
Vaccination is particularly important for high-risk groups, including children, those 50 and older, pregnant women and anyone with an underlying medical condition that can weaken the immune system. The CDC recommends flu shots be received annually.
At its walk-in clinics, Michigan Visiting Nurses accepts the following insurances, all of which cover the entire cost of the flu shot: Blue Care Network, BCN Advantage, Medicare Plus Blue PPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO, BlueCaid, HAP HMO and PPO, Health Plus HMO/PPO/POS/MIChild, HealthPlus MedicarePlus Advantage HMO/PPO, PHPMM HMO and PPO, Priority Health HMO and PPO, Priority Health Medicare Advantage, Traditional Medicare Part B, and UM Premier Care. Other payment options include Cash, Check, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
The walk-in clinics are open to the public and most clinics are limited to vaccinating those age 9 and older. For an updated listing of flu clinics, call MVN's flu hotline at 734-477-7299, or visit www.umvn.org.
See a complete list of clinics below:
- Thursday, 9/13/2012 from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM at the Cornerstone Presbyterian Church (RM 409, Chapel) located at 9455 Hilton Road, Brighton, 48114
- Tuesday, 9/18/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Ypsilanti Senior Center located at 1015 North Congress, Ypsilanti, 48197
- Friday, 9/21/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Northfield Township Senior Center located at 9101 Main Street, Whitmore Lake, 48189
- Saturday, 9/22/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip located at 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, 48109
- Sunday, 9/23/2012 from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM at Saline Recreation Center located at 1866 Woodland Drive, Saline, 48176
- Monday, 9/24/2012 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Dexter Senior Center located at 7720 Ann Arbor Street, Dexter, 48130
- Monday, 9/24/2012 from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM at the Dexter Senior Center located at 7720 Ann Arbor Street, Dexter, 48130
- Thursday, 9/27/2012 from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Duderstadt Center Connector Hall located at 2281 Bonisteel, Ann Arbor
- Friday, 9/28/2012 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Hamburg Senior Center located at 10407 Merrill Road, Hamburg, 48139
- Saturday, 9/29/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip located at 2705 South Industrial Ann Arbor, 48109
- Sunday, 9/30/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM at the St. Joseph Shrine located at 8743 US 12, Brooklyn, 49230
- Tuesday, 10/2/2012 from 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM at the St. Francis School and Parish located at 2270 East Stadium, Ann Arbor, 48104
- Wednesday, 10/3/2012 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Turner Senior Resource Center located at 2401 Plymouth Rd. Suite C, Ann Arbor, 48105
- Friday, 10/5/2012 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Howell Recreation Center - Parks and Rec Building, 925 West Grand River, Howell, 48843
- Saturday, 10/6/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip located at 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, 48104
- Sunday, 10/7/2012 from 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM at the Belleville First United Methodist Church located at 417 Charles Street, Belleville, 48111
- Monday, 10/8/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00PM at the Adrian Senior Center located at 327 Erie Street, Adrian, 49221
- Monday, 10/8/2012 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Tecumseh Senior Center located at 703 East Chicago Boulevard, Tecumseh, 49286
- Friday, 10/12/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Saline Senior Center located at 7190 North Maple Road, Saline , 48176
- Saturday, 10/13/2012 from 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM at the Wiard's Orchard Community Awareness Weekend, 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, 48197
- Sunday, 10/14/2012 from 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM at the Wiard's Orchard Community Awareness Weekend located at 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti, 48197
- Sunday, 10/14/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Trinity Episcopal Church located at 11575 Belleville Road, Belleville, 48111
- Monday, 10/15/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at the Fowlerville Senior Center located at 203 North Collins Street, Fowlerville, 48836
- Wednesday, 10/17/2012 from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Ann Arbor YMCA located at 400 West Washington, Ann Arbor, 48103
- Sunday, 10/21/2012 from 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at the Dexter United Methodist Church located at 7643 Huron River Drive, Dexter, 48130
- Wednesday, 10/24/2012 from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM at Zion Lutheran Church located at 1501 West Liberty, Ann Arbor, 48103
- Saturday, 10/27/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip located at 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, 48104
- Saturday, 11/3/2012 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM at MedEquip located at 2705 South Industrial, Ann Arbor, 48104
SOURCE University of Michigan Health System
More by this Source
Clinical trial tests targeting prostate cancer treatment
May 23, 2013, 11:52 ET
Baby's life saved with groundbreaking 3D printed device from U-M that restored his breathing
May 23, 2013, 11:10 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.