MIAMI, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Getaroom.com, a leading online discount hotel stay company, announced today travel tips for winter 2014 that can guide brave explorers to the best destinations and hotel room stays.
Exclusive tips from Getaroom for winter travel:
- Ski off the beaten track. Consider smaller and less crowded ski destinations in Colorado or New England instead of Aspen or Killington. Many lesser-known resorts offer considerably lower rates to attract ski season travelers.
- Bring a jacket to Sin City. Vegas is cold during the winter, but all of the gaming and entertainment options are still hot. Travelers visiting Las Vegas from Sunday to Thursday can enjoy the lowest rates of the year at five-star hotels.
- Pick smart flights. If you are headed to warmth such as Miami or Phoenix, then route your flight through southern layovers. The flight with the stop in Detroit might be $20 cheaper, but is it worth the risk of bad winter weather?
- Find the right hotel. Getaroom.com offers a call center staffed by travel experts who help winter explorers find the optimal hotel room for their needs and budget. Ask for Getaroom.com's unpublished rate which is typically 10-20% less than the lowest rate online.
- Check in on Sunday. Traditionally a "check-out" day, Sunday is an ideal day to start your trip because rates are often lower than the typical Friday or Saturday check-in rates.
- Stay informed. Use your phone to check flight statuses and weather alerts. If your flight is canceled you are often better off using the phone to make new arrangements instead of waiting in a long service desk line.
- Be polite. Winter travel can be unpredictable. It's not the airline's fault that it's snowing or there is freezing rain. They canceled flights for your safety, not to ruin your vacation. Be as polite as you can to encourage airline and hotel staff to take the extra step to help you out.
- Consider nontraditional destinations. NYC can be magical in winter time, with carriage rides and the city lights reflecting in the snow. Getaroom has many first class hotels in the $100 a night range this winter. Go towards the cold to experience a destination in a new way, and avoid big summer crowds.
- Prepare your car. Be very careful when planning a northern car trip during the winter. Pack extra clothes, blankets, and food in order to ensure you are ready for the unexpected. Grab a car cell phone charger or a portable battery charging device for that extra peace of mind.
Winter travel doesn't need to be a nightmare. Through proper planning and a little bit of luck, savvy travelers can have a great trip, whether it's a ski trip or a beach trip to Florida or the Caribbean. For the best deals on thousands of winter hotel stays, visit www.getaroom.com.
Getaroom.com provides travelers a state-of-the-art lodging website (www.getaroom.com) which offers travelers the lowest hotel rates on the Internet. Clients calling its toll-free call center at 800-HOTELS-8 (800-468-3578) can also receive the benefits of unpublished pricing, with hotel rates typically 10 to 20 percent less than published rates on its site and other internet sites and as much as 50 percent less. There is full disclosure about the property at time of booking including the hotel name and exact location. Getaroom.com offers accommodations at national chain and independent boutique properties in major destinations in the U.S. and Europe.