LANDOVER, Md., Jan. 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Following notification from its supplier, State Garden, Giant Food of Landover, Md. has announced a voluntary recall of several Nature's Promise organic bagged salad items due to the potential for listeria contamination. All affected products contain a "Best if Used By Date" of January 15, 2011.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Nature's Promise Organic Baby Spinach & Spring Mix, 7 oz., UPC 688267086410
- Nature's Promise Organic Caesar Salad Kit, 10.75 oz., UPC 68826723573
- Nature's Promise Organic Spring Mix, 16 oz., UPC 688267039089
- Nature's Promise Organic Sweet Baby Lettuce, 7 oz., UPC 688267086403
- Nature's Promise Baby Spinach w/ Ranch Dressing & Fork, 3.75 oz. UPC 688267123559
- Nature's Promise Organic Caesar Salad w/ Caesar Supreme Dressing & Fork, 5.75 oz. UPC 688267123566
- Nature's Promise Organic Spring Mix w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressings & Fork, 3 oz. UPC 688267123542
To date, Giant has received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of these products.
Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea, which can arise up to several weeks after consumption. Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who have these products should discard them and bring their purchase receipt to any Giant for a full refund. Customers looking for additional information may call Giant Corporate Brands toll free line at 1-877-846-9949. Consumers may also visit our website at www.GiantFood.com or contact State Garden at 1-888-841-6191 for more information. If customers have any health concerns, they should contact their doctor.
About Giant Food of Landover, Md.
Giant Food LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 179 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 22,000 associates. Included within the 179 stores are 163 full-service pharmacies. Giant is owned by Ahold USA, Inc. For more information on Giant, visit www.GiantFood.com.
SOURCE Giant Food LLC